Request: Remove "Schedule entire location"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Request: Remove "Schedule entire location"

Post by russellhltn »

Either remove it or put an option in the Resource page to remove it by location. It's a rare event that really ties up the whole place. As it is, I think this option invites abuse and creates more work for the Building Scheduler who has to resolve conflicts.

However, I'd suggest leaving it in the Reservation page as it's not uncommon to reserve the entire facility for a given unit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Either remove it or put an option in the Resource page to remove it by location. It's a rare event that really ties up the whole place. As it is, I think this option invites abuse and creates more work for the Building Scheduler who has to resolve conflicts.

However, I'd suggest leaving it in the Reservation page as it's not uncommon to reserve the entire facility for a given unit.
Although I agree that it can be problematic, I don't like the idea of removing the option. It's not the default, and it is definitely useful. We use it for stake conference and for funerals, where we really don't want anything else going on in the building at the same time, even if a particular room weren't being used by the same event.

Back when it was the default, we had lots of problems with people mistakenly using that option, but now that it is not the default, it's a rare problem -- no more common than other mistakes in scheduling the wrong resources. So I vote to keep the option.

I wouldn't have strong objections to an option on a location-by-location basis for disabling the feature. If the developers want to add that, it's fine with me. But I would definitely oppose simply removing the "Schedule entire location" feature.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

+1 for me to keep the "schedule entire location" feature. While there may be some difficulties at first with the new calendaring culture from the classic system or whatever other system that was being used, it has more benefits than negatives in my opinion. Granted some training my be required. But eventually the culture will take hold and people with get accustomed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
KirbyLSmith

Post by KirbyLSmith »

I agree with keeping the "schedule entire location". There are times when that will be useful as it only lasts for the time of the event. The one that I object to the "All Day Event" which effectively schedules the building from 6:00 Am to 11:30 PM. If that is the case it is easy enough to specify that by setting the time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

KirbyLSmith wrote:The one that I object to the "All Day Event" which effectively schedules the building from 6:00 Am to 11:30 PM. If that is the case it is easy enough to specify that by setting the time.

It's not too often that there's an "All day event" that uses a resource, but the feature is handy for marking holidays, fast Sunday, Reports due, or any other "Day" labels. And they are used for reservations. So it probably needs to be kept.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I would suggest keeping it, but moving it to the bottom, and add a "pop-up" note when you select it: "You are reserving the whole building. If you only need a portion of the building, please select individual rooms instead."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Although I agree that it can be problematic, I don't like the idea of removing the option. It's not the default, and it is definitely useful. We use it for stake conference and for funerals, where we really don't want anything else going on in the building at the same time, even if a particular room weren't being used by the same event.

I note that in your example, the events are only handled by "higher-ups". Perhaps if it was limited to the default admins and building scheduler.
kisaac wrote:I would suggest keeping it, but moving it to the bottom,
That might help.

kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote:I would suggest keeping it, but moving it to the bottom, and add a "pop-up" note when you select it: "You are reserving the whole building. If you only need a portion of the building, please select individual rooms instead."
I think now I will change my vote (which I really don't have!) to having it go away totally or as an option showing only to admins and building schedulers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I think there may be two web page design issues that are contributing to people scheduling the entire location in error.

The first is the impression that there are only two choices for scheduling resources - one resource or the entire location. Some people are not aware of the need to use the Windows (or the Mac OSX) methods of making (contiguous or non-contiguous) multiple selections when selecting multiple resources. Some are not even aware there are such methods let alone the need to use them. This leads them to the conclusion that either one resource can be scheduled, or the entire location must be scheduled when more than one resource is needed. In v1 there were check boxes for each resource so there was no need to use or know the alternative method of making multiple selections.

The second is the location of the "Schedule entire location" checkbox. While contributing significantly less than the first design issue it does have an impact, but primarily because of the first issue. It is placed above the resources listbox thereby making it the first choice. Then when the event editor can not figure out how to make a multiple resource selection it appears to be the only other option. Moving it below the listbox will demote its eminence in the choice of options.

Correcting the first issue will reduce the most of the reasons to erroneously scheduling the entire location. Moving the checkbox will further reduce it as an erroneous choice, but only if the first is corrected.

My vote is conditional. If the first issue is not solved then I agree the choice to check the box for "Schedule entire location" should be removed. But I prefer it to be an option and to have the first issue resolved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”