Event creation one day off

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ThomsonMA

Event creation one day off

Post by ThomsonMA »

I scanned to see if anyone else had reported this, but didn't see it. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

Let's say I want to create a all-day event for Valentine's day on the 2012 calendar. I advance the calendar to February 2012, and I click on Tuesday, February 14. The new event pop-up dialog shows

When:February 15, 12am-1am

...which is one day off.

I'm wondering if this is a time zone issue, since I'm doing this late in the evening (11pm). I've noticed that the default time when creating an event is near the time I'm doing it, and perhaps the calendar thinks I'm in a later timezone and advances the day on me.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's an outgrowth of the "auto time". Anytime you create an event, it automatically sets the default start time to the next hour. Because you're working after 11PM, it ends up in the next day.

Work around 1: go to bed before 11PM. :D

Work around 2: Edit the date time by hand.

During the beta, I had suggesting setting the default time to something like 7PM. At least that seemed a little more useful.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ThomsonMA wrote:I scanned to see if anyone else had reported this, but didn't see it. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

Let's say I want to create a all-day event for Valentine's day on the 2012 calendar. I advance the calendar to February 2012, and I click on Tuesday, February 14. The new event pop-up dialog shows

When:February 15, 12am-1am

...which is one day off.

I'm wondering if this is a time zone issue, since I'm doing this late in the evening (11pm). I've noticed that the default time when creating an event is near the time I'm doing it, and perhaps the calendar thinks I'm in a later timezone and advances the day on me.

Has anyone else seen this odd behavior?
It's not a time zone issue, but otherwise your analysis is correct. I've never liked the way the default time for an event created in Month view is the current time (rounded up to the nearest hour). There are more events scheduled at 7:00pm than any other time, and yet I rarely am scheduling events at that time of day. I'd rather have a default of 7:00pm. The time of day I happen to be scheduling an event has absolutely nothing to do with the likely time for the event.

The little detail of choosing midnight to 1:00am for the following day if you are scheduling an event after 11:00pm is just another quirk that results from the odd choice of using a time near the current time for the default event time.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

Thanks for the quick responses.

That makes sense, however, it seems that there should be logic that if I click on February 14, it's clear that my intention is not to create an even on February 15. So the next hour logic should stop a midnight.

Having nearly completed our Stake Calendar for 2012, I'd tend to agree that defaulting the time to 7pm makes a whole lot more sense than "next hour" since the odds of you entering an event anywhere near the actual start time of the event is not very great.

Thanks!
nathan.g

Post by nathan.g »

This sounds somewhat similar to my issue.

I have the issue where when I create an all day event, it appears fine on the online calendar, however when I look in iCal when I have my calendar subscribed, it show it a day early. It may pay to look further into this issue. My timezone is NZ.

Anyone else with this issue??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nathan.g wrote:I have the issue where when I create an all day event, it appears fine on the online calendar, however when I look in iCal when I have my calendar subscribed, it show it a day early. It may pay to look further into this issue. My timezone is NZ.
It's probably the same as the Sync issue reported here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”