Calendar 2.0 time zones change when exporting to Google Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
pani

Calendar 2.0 time zones change when exporting to Google Calendar

Post by pani »

Hi

I appreciate the new calendar has just been activated, and by the sounds of things those involved worked some overtime in to the night to get it finished! But, just in case this isn't already known, when I import the new calendar in to Google Calendar I have a problem with time zones. Example:

lds.org calendar time zone on all locations throughout the Stake set to Europe/London.
Activity listed on December 10, 5pm on lds.org's calendar.

On Google Calendar the same event is listed as 10am. The time zone for the imported calendar is set to GMT by default in my Google Calendar.

I'm using the new Google Calendar link as provided in the Sync section. Using the old work around link (https://cdev.lds.org/phpstack/ldscalendar.php/etc...) it is providing the correct time of 5pm as in the example above.

Any ideas?

Pani
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do you know if the time zone has been saved for the resources involved as required for V2? That might have something to do with it. But if so, it makes me wonder what will happen to events that do not use a resource?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mykro

Post by mykro »

I noticed that in Google Calendars it shows the time zone as GMT+00:00. I went in on my lds.org account and added the time zone for each building location to be DENVER, but nothing has changed yet. Unsubscribed then added it again. Still shows NO TIMe ZONE.
ken.nicholas

Post by ken.nicholas »

I see the same issue. All of the ward calendar events (none of which had a resource) show up either 2 hours early (synched to Outlook) or 7 hours early (synched to Google Calendar).

It makes for a long day of interviews. :)
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I am seeing the same issue. Of note, the sync link is the same as before. It was working fine before the cutover. The calendar time zone is shown as GMT+0.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

mfmohlma wrote:Of note, the sync link is the same as before.

I just regenerated a new URL and it still has the same problem.
pani

Post by pani »

update: I previously said the old https://cdev.lds.org/phpstack/ldscalendar.php/etc... link seemed to stop the time zone problems, but it seems as of today it now has the same problem as the new links.

Any update on this yet?
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

I made the mistake of syncing my phone last night and it now has lots of incorrect times with both the direct link and the old workaround link :(.

Aaron Z
pani

Post by pani »

If the TZID:America/Denver is added to the DTSTART and DTEND in the data stream then Google Calendar knows that the time presented in the import data is based on a TZ database location of the Mountain time zone, and then for me correctly presents the correct time on my Google calendar.
tsteenblik

Same issue

Post by tsteenblik »

I am seeing the same issue. I have assured that the time zones are correct for each of the locations. The calendar looks great, with correct time, on LDS.org but when I bring it into Google it is showing the GMT time zone.

Return to “Calendar”