Building Scheduler cannot override reservations

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Building Scheduler cannot override reservations

Post by aebrown »

With v2, it appears that building schedulers have completely lost the ability to override reservations. When a building scheduler tries to create an event (or modify an existing event) that uses a resource on a date/time that has already been reserved by a Reservation (not by an event), he or she cannot create that event. Instead, a message appears saying that they should contact the building scheduler (themselves!).

This limitation occurs for Blocked reservations as well as for reservations for a particular unit.

On v1, building schedulers could always schedule events on top of reservations (called "assignments" on v1) for their assigned building. This is an important capability for building schedulers to have. Without it, Blocked reservations are far too powerful, since they completely stop the resource from being scheduled by anyone. And it makes it so that the building scheduler cannot work out exceptions to repeating reservations, except by going back to the reservation and making an exception there, which is tedious and may create a bigger exception than was intended for a single event.

I have to think this is a bug -- I can't imagine that this capability was removed intentionally. Or am I missing something in how it works on v2?

There have been a couple of posts that hinted at this problem here and here, but I thought it was important enough to get a clear statement of the problem in a thread of its own.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The fix for this is coming soon.
ballam

Post by ballam »

When is "coming soon"? Coming soon = today, tomorrow, Saturday? All my wards are trying to finalize their Christmas activities right now and these issues with v2 are preventing the building schedulers from scheduling the building as they did with v1.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

It just means coming soon.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

ballam wrote:When is "coming soon"?

Welcome to the forum. I understand you may be frustrated. Even though you as a building scheduler cannot seem to schedule the building, this may be a good opportunity for members of the individual wards to learn the "new paradigm" of scheduling the building themselves.

The calendar team and a bunch of volunteer beta testers have worked many long hours to get the project to this point. It would appear that during the beta the representation of building schedulers was lacking. From what I have seen, if jdcr256 says it's coming soon, it's probably sooner than you think. :) Thank you for your input. I'm sure the team appreciates your patience.

Matt
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

This is halfway fixed now. A building scheduler can now create an event during a reservation for another unit. However, doing the same thing during a blocked reservation is not yet fixed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:This is halfway fixed now. A building scheduler can now create an event during a reservation for another unit. However, doing the same thing during a blocked reservation is not yet fixed.
Thanks for the quick action on this. I'd say it's way more than halfway fixed -- blocked reservations are relatively rare. I'm glad you deployed the fix for unit reservations promptly, as that problem was creating a lot of headaches.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
LynnNielson

Post by LynnNielson »

I am glad you created a seperate thread for blocked reservations. I am considering removing all of them from our calendar until this bug is fixed. It is creating many problems.
twoodall

Hope a fix comes soon!

Post by twoodall »

I hope this gets fixed soon. Our stake has the all buildings blocked and uses a non-building location (called "needs room") with a list of all rooms in the stake for which members can apply for. This essentially allows the calendars to be admin'd by the stake/ward organizations but keeps building reservations to completely centralized with the building scheduler. The scheduler changes the location from the "Needs Room" location to the actual location. Until this get fixed, we can't allocate any events to a building - or modify existing ones.

We thought of removing the reservations until this gets fixed, but can you create a reservation that conflicts with an event at that location without impacting the event?
jegbert

Same issue "blocked"...

Post by jegbert »

I've run into this same issue. I am the Stake Clerk of Tech and the Building Scheduler in my Stake Center, I can't schedule events during "blocked" time in our Stake Center anymore since Version 2.0. Another issue is that on a Stake level, I can no longer see/edit any of the scheduled events in the other buildings in our Stake. I am assigned as a building scheduler for each building as well, but now all the other wards' calendars no longer show up for me since 2.0. We are training several people in our Stake (new building schedulers, ward clerks, etc.) on the new system and there have been many mistakes/issues that I've needed to correct for other wards, but now I can no longer see any of their calendars......even though I am a building scheduler for their buildings. Hope to see these bugs squashed in 2.0 soon! Many thanks!

Return to “Calendar”