Important V2 Upgrade Note: Calendars must be reactivated!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Important V2 Upgrade Note: Calendars must be reactivated!

Post by aebrown »

There is one very important note mentioned in the Stake Administrators Guide:
Note: With the time zone update for version 2.0, all locations were deactivated. After you select the correct time zone, select the “This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes” check box.
Once the v2 migrations is complete (hopefully tomorrow morning), it is essential that a stake administrator from each stake enables each location. Until that happens, existing events will not show associated resources properly, and no one will be able to create new events that reserve resources at any locations.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:There is one very important note mentioned in the Stake Administrators Guide:

Once the v2 migrations is complete (hopefully tomorrow morning), it is essential that a stake administrator from each stake enables each location. Until that happens, existing events will not show associated resources properly, and no one will be able to create new events that reserve resources at any locations.
Wow! Thanks for the tip. I can only imagine that anyone who didn't get this note is going to be surprised when the upgrade is finished. I wonder if it would be possible to change the message that's currently popping up when someone logs into their calendar to give them this note??
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

techgy wrote:Wow! Thanks for the tip. I can only imagine that anyone who didn't get this note is going to be surprised when the upgrade is finished. I wonder if it would be possible to change the message that's currently popping up when someone logs into their calendar to give them this note??
Either support is REALLY fast or I jumped before I looked. The warning note is already part of the posted noted that appears following the logon to the calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:Either support is REALLY fast or I jumped before I looked. The warning note is already part of the posted noted that appears following the logon to the calendar.
Hmm. I don't see that. I still see the message in this post. But in any case, it makes sense that people who login to the calendar after the upgrade will see a relevant message. However, they may not be people who have permissions to activate locations, so it's good to get the word out soon so that stake administrators can plan on doing this.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

aebrown wrote:Hmm. I don't see that. I still see the message in this post. But in any case, it makes sense that people who login to the calendar after the upgrade will see a relevant message. However, they may not be people who have permissions to activate locations, so it's good to get the word out soon so that stake administrators can plan on doing this.
This is very weird. I signed into v1 of the calendar and the message I saw DEFINITELY mentioned the fact that the calendar needs to be re-activated. I was kinda surprised, but figured that I just hadn't looked. Now, when I check again, the portion of that message is gone. I have no idea as to what happened, but I may try it again later a few more times and see what happens. Perhaps clearing the browser cache would do something :)
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

The welcome message that has been part of the 2.0 beta for the past couple weeks, and that will be shown to everyone when they log in to the new production 2.0, includes this information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdcr256 wrote:The welcome message that has been part of the 2.0 beta for the past couple weeks, and that will be shown to everyone when they log in to the new production 2.0, includes this information.
Indeed, the new message that is posted is as follows:
Version 2.0 released

We've upgraded the calendar with many new fixes and features. To see a list of what's new, see the 2.0 Release Notes.

One new feature is the inclusion of time zones for each location. Because of this update, all locations have been deactivated. Stake administrators need to set the time zones for each location and then reactivate the locations. You can do this by going to Settings > Locations & Rooms. See Reactivate Locations for more information.

If you're just getting started with the calendar, see the quick reference guides for each user role.

For help with the calendar, click the Help button. You can also post questions in the LDSTech Forum.

Click here for more calendar help and FAQs.
So the important note about activating locations is included; I was confident it would be, but wanted to be help some people to get an advance warning so they could include this step in their plans.
dlabau

Post by dlabau »

aebrown wrote:Indeed, the new message that is posted is as follows:

So the important note about activating locations is included; I was confident it would be, but wanted to be help some people to get an advance warning so they could include this step in their plans.
The problem is that nothing tells you how to reactivate. You can figure out how to reset the time, but that does not add the locations back. Until you make each location available to all the wards and stakes, it will not show up when attempting to calendar an item.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dlabau wrote:The problem is that nothing tells you how to reactivate. You can figure out how to reset the time, but that does not add the locations back. Until you make each location available to all the wards and stakes, it will not show up when attempting to calendar an item.
The Stake Administrator's Guide explains how to:
  1. Check the box for "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes"
  2. Specify the time zone for the location
  3. Add units to the location
It's a nice one page Quick Reference, and I would highly recommend it.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

Should there be a delay before members see the locations for scheduling after the stake admin re-activates the resource? I notified stake clerks about this issue and received a reply that they had updated the locations, but I still do not see available locations 3 hours after the reply.

Return to “Calendar”