Disabling wireless on 881W

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

Disabling wireless on 881W

Post by craiggsmith »

We are doing a stake conference webcast tomorrow and usually disable all other network access as we have limited bandwidth. Facilties just put in a new 881W and I just realized I have no means to disable the wireless. I called support and after quite a wait they finally found someone who knew what I was talking about and agreed that it's something they have to do, but said that they can only do it Mon-Fri. When do they think we use these things?

I guess all I can do now is take off the antennas and hope for the best. I think I want my old firewall back.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You could put it in a metal box. Just leave a series of small holes for ventilation.

While I'm sure it was well-intentioned, I think the combined wireless/firewall was a bad idea. Your situation is just one reason. Another is that in many cases, the best place for the firewall isn't the best place for the WAP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Yeah, actually I thought about the metal box idea!

And yes, in our building the most convenient place for the firewall is not the best place for the WAP.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:I guess all I can do now is take off the antennas...
That's all that is needed. It will still have a very tiny bit of range due to RF leakage off the connector, but you'd have to be right on top of it to get a connection.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:That's all that is needed. It will still have a very tiny bit of range due to RF leakage off the connector, but you'd have to be right on top of it to get a connection.

You'd think, but paulscherbel has indicated differently.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Removing the antennas worked fine, which surprised me. We have another wireless router of our own and the signal was still strong even after removing the antennas.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

craiggsmith wrote:Removing the antennas worked fine, which surprised me. We have another wireless router of our own and the signal was still strong even after removing the antennas.
That's because the Cisco unit uses a metal case, which acts as a Faraday shield blocking most RF signals from getting in or out. Your other router most likely uses a plastic case, which has no such shielding.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Mikerowaved wrote:That's because the Cisco unit uses a metal case, which acts as a Faraday shield blocking most RF signals from getting in or out. Your other router most likely uses a plastic case, which has no such shielding.
Good point, yes the other router was plastic, thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”