Asterisks on Primary Rolls

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ffrsqpilot

Asterisks on Primary Rolls

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I have searched through MLS help and also here in the wiki but I couldn't find an answer to the following question - "What does an asterics by the name of a child mean on a primary class roll?"

Our Stake Primary President emailed me asking about this question and short of calling LUS I thought I would post the question here. Anyone know the answer?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

It means they are not baptized and won't be counted for many stats.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I thought that might be the case but I checked one wards primarly roll on which I knew for a certainty that a particular child had not yet been baptized. There was no asteric by the childs name yet the child was listed on the class roll. ???
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

FFRsqpilot wrote:I thought that might be the case but I checked one wards primarly roll on which I knew for a certainty that a particular child had not yet been baptized. There was no asteric by the childs name yet the child was listed on the class roll. ???
The asterisk means the child has not been baptized and is at least 9 years old. Until they turn 9, an unbaptized person with a membership record is still officially a "child of record"; once they turn 9, that is no longer the case.

Is the child you checked at least 9 years old?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I spoke too soon. I believe that is what it used to mean. I went and looked and I couldn't find any asterisk where I would expect them.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:The asterisk means the child has not been baptized and is at least 9 years old. Until they turn 9, an unbaptized person with a membership record is still officially a "child of record"; once they turn 9, that is no longer the case.
That is what I thought, but I just checked with a 10 year old who is not baptized and there isn't an asterisk.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JonesRK wrote:That is what I thought, but I just checked with a 10 year old who is not baptized and there isn't an asterisk.
Maybe asterisks aren't put on rolls any more for this situation, but then that raises the question as to what the original post is talking about....
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Yes, I checked a nine year old unbaptized child. There was no asteric by the childs name on the roll. I am not sure which unit the Stake Primary President got this question from "What does the asteric by a child's name mean" but apparently at least one unit has a roll where an asteric showed up. Granted I only checked one unit's records but where I expected an asteric to be (unbaptized 9 year old) there just wasn't any. Perhaps something has changed in MLS...... What I believe the Primary President really is concerned about is a statistic - does the child count against the primary statistic in the Quarterly Report if they have an asteric by their name?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

FFRsqpilot wrote:What I believe the Primary President really is concerned about is a statistic - does the child count against the primary statistic in the Quarterly Report if they have an asteric by their name?
An easy way to check this is to open the Quarterly Report, and click on the link for Primary. You will see a list of all children who are counted. If your 9-year-old is not on that list, they are not counted for the Quarterly Report.
danpass

Post by danpass »

It has been nearly 5 years since I served as a ward clerk. At that time, roll pages that included names marked with an asterisk, had a footnote indicating that the marked children were not baptized.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”