Membership record of inactive member's 9-year old child

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
calvinhunt

Membership record of inactive member's 9-year old child

Post by calvinhunt »

An inactive member of our ward has 3 children. They are ages 2, 9, and 11. The two older children have not been baptized. All three show up as the member's children on the member's record or IOS, but only the 2-year old shows up with the inactive parent in the ward Directory of Members. I'm a new ward clerk (less than a year). I have taken the on-line lessons available for ward clerks. I know there is something about a child dropping from the Directory of Members if they are not baptized by 9 years of age, but I need further understanding. Can you help me here or direct me to additional training that may be available? The bishop asked me about it and because I couldn't give him a proper answer I told him I would seek help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

calvinhunt wrote:I know there is something about a child dropping from the Directory of Members if they are not baptized by 9 years of age, but I need further understanding. Can you help me here or direct me to additional training that may be available?
In the MLS Software Manual, page A-4, it says: "A person who is nine years of age or older who has a membership record but has not been baptized and confirmed is not considered a member of record."

Because they are not considered a member of record, they will not show up on many of the reports. They are still children of the member, so they will show up on the member's record or IOS. That won't change, even if they leave the Church entirely. But they won't be on the full Directory of Members, and certainly won't be counted in any statistics such as Primary attendance.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
calvinhunt

Post by calvinhunt »

aebrown,
Once again, thanks for your help. I appreciate your answer and the lesson taught in making use of the MLS Software Manual.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

aebrown wrote: Because they are not considered a member of record, they will not show up on many of the reports. They are still children of the member, so they will show up on the member's record or IOS. That won't change, even if they leave the Church entirely. But they won't be on the full Directory of Members, and certainly won't be counted in any statistics such as Primary attendance.

I think this also may be the answer to the other question (post) regarding asterics (or lack thereof) on primary rolls. The unbaptized child won't be counted in any statistic even if they show up on class rolls. At least I think this is what is intended with the statistics for the Quarterly Reports.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”