'Administration' column heading

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
quicky

'Administration' column heading

Post by quicky »

On my Budget Allowance Summary Report under subcategory I have Administration as a column heading, then Activities Comm, Internet and Stake Misc as subcategories. I did have those 3 subcategories inactivated before the 3.4.1 download.

On the bottom of this report I show my 'Carry Forward' balance. I will need to do a number of transfers with this new download to clean-up inactivated account balances which have reappeared. My question here relates to the column heading I should transfer to and from. Should I have put the 'carry forward' amount in my Administration heading? As of now there is no balance under that heading.

All my balances are fine but there is no budget heading under which the carry forward balance shows, and without that I will really foul-up all the aux. budget remainders fior the year.

Another question: should I just throw up my hands and let the end of the year come and go and start with new numbers in 2012? I am getting more than a little tired of this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Quicky wrote:On my Budget Allowance Summary Report under subcategory I have Administration as a column heading, then Activities Comm, Internet and Stake Misc as subcategories. I did have those 3 subcategories inactivated before the 3.4.1 download.
Yes, we have been warned that some previously inactive subcategories might be reactivated. It's easy enough to deactivate them again (after setting their balances to zero).
Quicky wrote:On the bottom of this report I show my 'Carry Forward' balance. I will need to do a number of transfers with this new download to clean-up inactivated account balances which have reappeared. My question here relates to the column heading I should transfer to and from. Should I have put the 'carry forward' amount in my Administration heading? As of now there is no balance under that heading.
That can be done however you'd like. Administration is a reasonable place to put a balance forward, but some units may choose to put a balance forward in one or more specific subcategories, depending on unit policies and what happened in 2010.
Quicky wrote:All my balances are fine but there is no budget heading under which the carry forward balance shows, and without that I will really foul-up all the aux. budget remainders fior the year.
If there is a total for the carry forward balance, then it seems like it must appear in at least one subcategory, all of which will add up to the total.
Quicky wrote:Another question: should I just throw up my hands and let the end of the year come and go and start with new numbers in 2012? I am getting more than a little tired of this.

Although I am certainly sympathetic to your frustration, I would think that having accurate reports for 2011 will be a great help to the auxiliaries as they formulate and submit their budget proposals for 2012. I found it relatively easy to fix the balances -- I just looked at a pre-3.4.1 report, and compared it to my post-setup report. Then I made at most one transfer per subcategory (several of the subcategories were just fine).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
quicky

Post by quicky »

The trouble is that without the 'carry-forward' balance showing somewhere within that budget allowance summary report I have nothing to do transfers to. It appears that I should include each quarters budget allocation in the same place in which I carry the 'carry-forward' balance so that I have a total from which to work. Should these numbers be added in each quarter?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Quicky wrote:The trouble is that without the 'carry-forward' balance showing somewhere within that budget allowance summary report I have nothing to do transfers to. It appears that I should include each quarters budget allocation in the same place in which I carry the 'carry-forward' balance so that I have a total from which to work. Should these numbers be added in each quarter?
The budget allocations will be in the Budget:Budget Allocations category. If you are like most stakes, those allocations will be automatically deposited in that category at the beginning of each quarter.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
quicky

Post by quicky »

They are automatic but don't post to the budget allocations column in a dollar amount. Do you remember back in the 'old' days when we had to put an entry into a box each quarter as the stake updated the budget amounts? (Little box in the bottom right corner). I am wondering if the same needs done now only in the 'budget allocations' or 'budget administration' category. They do post as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter allowances under 2011 budget balance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”