Ward Blog Sites?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jkeyes87

Ward Blog Sites?

Post by jkeyes87 »

I was recently called to be the Ward Photographer and bishopric wanted me to create a Ward Blog/website/something to that extent for pictures from ward activities. Although I am perfectly capable to do so, I didn't know what the church's standpoint was on that and I want to make sure I don't overstep any boundaries. I don't know what information could/should be allowable to post and what to have in terms of privacy settings. Does anyone know of any wards that have something like this already or any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance!
-Jennifer
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Caution! Caution!
Welcome to the forum, by the way!
If it were me, I wouldn't step outside of the directories photo abilities, and the bulletin board at the church. Anything more would be my own personal "facebook-ing" among "friends."
jkeyes87

Post by jkeyes87 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. And yes, as soon as I heard about this I was like "uuuuuh... you want me to do what?" This is a can of worms waiting to be opened. Hence the S.O.S.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

The LDS.org directory has photo capability, but has safeguards in place. Only the member, or an administrator (leader, website admin) can approve or place them. The member (or parent) has full control to allow or hide any photo or piece of info such as names, addresses, etc. I think it is all very carefully crafted, and for protection of the church, it's members, and you and your bishop.

And that doesn't even begin to peak into the "policy" and "handbook" battles about "unofficial ward websites..."
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Yes, I do know the directory isn't the place for photo's of your ward party!
jkeyes87

Post by jkeyes87 »

Yeah the bishopric definitely wanted me to help and encourage our ward to get their personal picture on the ward directory, but they were also throwing around the idea of having a ward blog or something. I said I'd look into it, but my fear is that someone will be offended that I took a picture of them at a ward activity and we know how those things can snowball. At this point I'm about to go back to them and tell them the (numerous) reasons why it's not such a great idea. But I at least wanted to do my part and research into it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

And if you'd like to point them to a specific Handbook reference, they can carefully review Handbook 2, Section 21.1.22 (under Official Church Internet Resources) which says in part:
Stake and ward Web sites may be created only by using the official Church Internet resources. Stakes and wards are not authorized to create other Web sites or blogs or otherwise have a Church-sponsored presence on the Internet.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jkeyes87

Post by jkeyes87 »

Thanks for the official source! I've been looking for something like that. Case and point.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I like the idea of having a "ward photographer" to post snapshots from ward activities on a bulletin board next to the Bishop's office (and update them when new activites happen) but, like everyone else here, I understand that if it's going to be on the Internet then, somehow, it has to happen through the official ward web site tools that are available. You may add photos to items in the ward's "News and Information” section. There are certain restrictions but, within those limitations, something like what your Bishop wants may be possible.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

aebrown wrote:And if you'd like to point them to a specific Handbook reference, they can carefully review Handbook 2, Section 21.1.22 (under Official Church Internet Resources) which says in part:
There is also another pertinent subsection (Members' Use of the Internet in Church Callings) that states
Individual members may create Web sites or blogs or make use of other appropriate Internet resources in their Church callings, provided they include a disclaimer such as “This is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” Members should also comply with the following guidelines:
  • The Church logo may not be used or imitated.
  • The name and contact information of the member who is responsible for the Web site should be included.
  • Members should not state or imply that their Web site or activities are sponsored or endorsed by the Church.
  • Church-owned artwork, music, or other materials should not be reposted unless such use is clearly authorized by the “Rights and Use Information” page of an official Church Web site or by the Church’s Intellectual Property Office.
  • Photographs of other individuals or personal information about them should not be displayed without their consent.
Similar wording can be found in HB 1 17.1.24.
This would seem to suggest what your bishop has in mind is possible, but you do have to be careful. I would suggest having the bishop read these sections and then get together with you to decide if this is still something you want to pursue.

Return to “General Discussions”