MLS 3.4.1 Setup File effects

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

MLS 3.4.1 Setup File effects

Post by mlh78 »

I just completed installing the setup file released yesterday. It unleashed havoc. The balances in my budget subcategories bear precious little resemblance to the reports I printed on 10/16. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but it looks like this is going to be a lot of work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:I just completed installing the setup file released yesterday. It unleashed havoc. The balances in my budget subcategories bear precious little resemblance to the reports I printed on 10/16. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but it looks like this is going to be a lot of work.
As near as I can determine, the primary problem is that I used a technique that was a great idea at the time: I adjusted opening balances for 2011 by creating transfers dated 31 Dec 2010. That way I had 2011 opening balances that were exactly right. Unfortunately, with the new philosophy of MLS, those transfers are dated in 2011, since that was when I posted the transfers. So those transfers that were once in 2010 are now in 2011, and now my budget subcategory balances are almost all wrong.

The good news is that all the overall budget totals are correct. Thus all I need to do is to create transfers dated in 2011 (I have no choice the way MLS works now) to move the funds between budget subcategories, and all should be well. I won't be able to run any reports for portions of the year that will make any sense, but my YTD reports should be fine.

The one balance I can't understand is one of my AMFA subcategories, where the opening balance simply disappeared. The money that used to be in that opening balance is now in the parent AMFA category. That one is not explained by the change in using the posting date, rather than the specified transaction date. But again, one simple transfer will fix it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Just took a closer look and it appears that we have the same issue. Not a big deal to fix at the stake level, but when 12 wards come calling, it could be a bit of a time issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:So those transfers that were once in 2010 are now in 2011, and now my budget subcategory balances are almost all wrong.

If all they did was change the dates of the transactions, that shouldn't affect the current balance, right? Granted, it would make some of the reports messy, but I'd expect it to come up with the same totals (as long as I'm not going back before those transactions).

Did the system fail to properly re-calculate the year's opening balance?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:If all they did was change the dates of the transactions, that shouldn't affect the current balance, right? Granted, it would make some of the reports messy, but I'd expect it to come up with the same totals (as long as I'm not going back before those transactions).

Did the system fail to properly re-calculate the year's opening balance?
We are talking about Budget reports here. Budget reports don't have an opening balance column -- instead they have an "Annual Budget Assigned by Unit" column that shows the portion of the total Budget Allocation assigned to each subcategory. So a Budget report will essentially always have a balance forward of 0, but the assigned budget acts sort of like a beginning balance -- but one that is assigned for the new year, not calculated based on the previous year.

Also, Budget reports have always had a specific time period -- by default they show the current year, which starts of course on 1 Jan. So they don't include any transactions from the previous year. Thus if a transfer from the previous year suddenly moves to this year (as just happened with the Setup file), it will indeed change the current balance for the affected subcategory(ies).

EDIT: I suppose you're wondering why I made adjustments to opening balances for Budget categories at the beginning of 2011 when they don't even show up on Budget reports. That's because the Budget reports were different back then. They actually did include a balance forward. It wasn't until 3.3.1 (released in February) that the balance forward column was removed for yearly Budget reports.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:As near as I can determine, the primary problem is that I used a technique that was a great idea at the time: I adjusted opening balances for 2011 by creating transfers dated 31 Dec 2010. That way I had 2011 opening balances that were exactly right. Unfortunately, with the new philosophy of MLS, those transfers are dated in 2011, since that was when I posted the transfers. So those transfers that were once in 2010 are now in 2011, and now my budget subcategory balances are almost all wrong.

As I dug into our stake Budget categories last night, I discovered an additional issue that is throwing off balances.

In some categories, I am seeing credits for checks written in 2010. They have the following attributes:
  • The original checks were all written between 1 Sep 2010 and 15 Oct 2010.
  • But these credits have a Posted Date in January 2011. I'm guessing I did something with their categorization back then, but I thought I did all that work back in 2010.
  • They all have reference numbers that start with 00 (e.g., a credit associated with check #2345 would be 002345).
  • They are all credits amounts.
In order to get my balances correct, I would have to create a transfer moving the amounts of these credits from their current category to Budget:Administration (that seems to be the category that is short, when so many other categories have balances that are too high).

I've seen other posts (I can't find any right now) that indicate that transactions with reference numbers that start with 00 are still being worked on in the CUBS system. I don't know if that's true. But if it is true, then I probably should be patient. If it is not true, then I might as well go ahead and fix my balances.

Is anyone else seeing a similar issue affecting their balances after the Setup File has been processed? Any thoughts on what the best course of action is?
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

I had a similar problem. In the original conversion, I found that a number of October 2010 checks had been deducted twice at headquarters. LUS corrected the double posting, but the corrections were posted in 2011. These checks now show up as a credit balance in 2011 because of the posting date. I restored the proper balances with a transfer (using budget allocations as my plug account). Assuming no future "fixes" come down, I think this is the right course of action.
jerrobertson

Post by jerrobertson »

Same situation here. I did a corrective transfer and dated it in 2010 that has thrown my budget out of whack.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

mlh78 wrote:Just took a closer look and it appears that we have the same issue. Not a big deal to fix at the stake level, but when 12 wards come calling, it could be a bit of a time issue.

I have the same issue. I'm very grateful that I printed budget expense reports in detail, because I could quickly compare the before and after. I made a few quick transfers, and everything is as it should be. For now, at least.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I have the same issues being described above. Post setup file, Income/Expense looks OK - matches my CUBs Statement and all Income/Expense/Budget totals are correct. But, my Aux/Quorum budgets are all messed up as has been described.

I called LUS and was told that this is expected behavior. I asked if I should do Transfers to re-balance my accounts. I have told "absolutely not". I asked if this is a result of something I did wrong earlier - I was told "no". I was then told that this will "magically correct itself" when we roll into 2012. I was told not to touch a thing in the way of correcting budget category balances between now and 1/1/2012. I asked if this was a known problem and if all wards would see this, and was told "yes". Lastly, I asked if this meant, like last year at this time, that I wouldn't have accurate budget reports for my Aux/Quorums for the remainder of the year, and was told "yes".

Just reporting what I was told.....

Return to “Local Unit Finance”