Removing deceased patriarch from CDOL

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Removing deceased patriarch from CDOL

Post by mlh78 »

Last year our stake patriarch passed away. His record is not in MLS and he does not show up as a patriarch when using either MLS or the lds.org directory. But, he still shows up in CDOL and in the organization directory under clerk resources on lds.org. Is this something that is going to have to be solved through a unit data refresh or is there an easier way?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mlh78 wrote:Last year our stake patriarch passed away. His record is not in MLS and he does not show up as a patriarch when using either MLS or the lds.org directory. But, he still shows up in CDOL and in the organization directory under clerk resources on lds.org. Is this something that is going to have to be solved through a unit data refresh or is there an easier way?

I would have expected that when a new patriarch was called in your stake, the stake would have updated Stake MLS and that information would have gone to CDOL and elsewhere when the stake notified CHQ that the patriarch had been ordained. Perhaps the stake president has not yet received permission from the Quorum of the Twelve to call a new patriarch.

Have you checked to see if the stake has updated MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I would have expected that when a new patriarch was called in your stake, the stake would have updated Stake MLS and that information would have gone to CDOL and elsewhere when the stake notified CHQ that the patriarch had been ordained. Perhaps the stake president has not yet received permission from the Quorum of the Twelve to call a new patriarch.
Since a stake can have more then one patriarch, I don't see how ordaining a new one is required to release the previous one.

lajackson wrote:Have you checked to see if the stake has updated MLS?

It's worth verifying, but assuming his death was properly recorded by his ward, I'd consider the failure to auto-release on death to be a bug.

Hopefully our resident CDOL guru sees this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Some more detail: The deceased patriarch was nonfunctioning status; another active patriarch has been in place for years and is properly reflected in CDOL. It is interesting that when I click on the deceased patriarch's name in the clerk tools organization list, it brings up a partial record, but lists the unit as the deceased member unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mlh78 wrote:but lists the unit as the deceased member unit.

Interesting. That suggests that "deceased" is simular to a move-out. And I think there's been bugs in that area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mlh78 wrote:Some more detail: The deceased patriarch was nonfunctioning status; another active patriarch has been in place for years and is properly reflected in CDOL. It is interesting that when I click on the deceased patriarch's name in the clerk tools organization list, it brings up a partial record, but lists the unit as the deceased member unit.
You will find that it is gone now. I have been working on a task to clean up old positions in CDOL where the member has moved. In this case dieing counts as a 'move' to the deceased member unit.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

JonesRK wrote:You will find that it is gone now.
Indeed, it has. Good work.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

JonesRK wrote:In this case dieing counts as a 'move' to the deceased member unit.
That must be a big unit :D

Aaron Z
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Aczlan wrote:That must be a big unit :D

Aaron Z

Indeed it is. See https://new.familysearch.org for a member list. ;)
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

Aczlan wrote:That must be a big unit :D

Aaron Z
On resurrection morning will the clerks have to move everybody out, or will they be able to contact Local Unit Support and simply have the unit renamed and reclassified?

Return to “Membership Help”