RS/PH Lesson Schedules

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
margiestroble

RS/PH Lesson Schedules

Post by margiestroble »

I am our ward's website admin and although we can enter the SS Lesson Schedule, the RS/PH Lesson Schedules are supposed to be done at the Stake Level. Our Stake Pres. does not want the RS/PH Lessons to be on there because of each ward having their ward conferences or anything else that might goof up the lesson schedule. It could cause confusion if a teacher looked at it and got the wrong information. We have three wards that meet in our building. We have a total of eight wards in our stake, so that really could cause a lot of confusion!
I know our RS does a good job of having the RS Lesson Schedules printed and available for the sisters, but still sometimes there is a question and if they could get it from the ward webpage, that would be nice. Frequently the PH will ask what the lesson schedule is so we refer them to the RS Schedule that we have made up.
It would be great if the RS/PH Lesson Schedule feature could be maintained on the ward level so that it could be available for the members to see what lesson is on what day for their individual ward.
Our ward members are trying to use the ward and stake webpages to their advantage, but if a certain feature, such as the RS/PH Lesson Schedules is non-functioning, or has a generic schedule that does not fit their ward's calendar, then what good is it?
Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The way we deal with it is when a ward holds a ward conference, they skip that lesson. Between MP/RS choice on first Sundays, a General Conference Lesson on 4th Sunday, Bishop's choice on 5th Sundays, and two Stake Conferences, we don't have enough Sundays to make it though the manual. One more skipped lesson is no big deal. At least that's our take on it.
danpass

Post by danpass »

margiestroble wrote:It would be great if the RS/PH Lesson Schedule feature could be maintained on the ward level so that it could be available for the members to see what lesson is on what day for their individual ward.
Our ward members are trying to use the ward and stake webpages to their advantage, but if a certain feature, such as the RS/PH Lesson Schedules is non-functioning, or has a generic schedule that does not fit their ward's calendar, then what good is it?
This past year, we did a generic schedule for out stake, but the wards really want to have their own schedule posted. For 2008, I am asking our wards to create a calendar event for each Sunday that indicates which lesson, conference talk, etc. is scheduled. Within the RS/PH Lesson Schedule feature, I will insert a comment that tells the member to refer to their ward calendar. Besides serving as an interim solution to the current design limitation, doing this has another benefit. For people who import the LUWS calendar into their own calendars, it will be nice to have the planned lessons listed for each Sunday.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I really think it would be better to let the wards handle their own list. For the last couple of years the Stake Presidency has told us it is up to the Bishops to set the schedules. We generally stay consistent but can plan around the various ward conferences and such. We aren't able to update the ward web site though.
danpass

Post by danpass »

danpass wrote:For 2008, I am asking our wards to create a calendar event for each Sunday that indicates which lesson, conference talk, etc. is scheduled.
bhofmann wrote:I really think it would be better to let the wards handle their own list. For the last couple of years the Stake Presidency has told us it is up to the Bishops to set the schedules. We generally stay consistent but can plan around the various ward conferences and such. We aren't able to update the ward web site though.
Yes, but until wards are able to update their own RS/PH lesson schedules on the LUWS, my suggestion is that each ward communicate the schedule to their ward members by entering a calendar event for each Sunday that tells which lesson or topic is scheduled for that Sunday's RS/PH lesson.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:I really think it would be better to let the wards handle their own list.
I think this is another one of those "why is it designed that way" questions. If I remember correctly, that feature has changed. The Help files seem to indicate that the Gospel Doctrine used to be set at the Stake level, but currently it's done at the ward level. I'd assume there was a reason that PH/RS wasn't also changed. Maybe there's a policy we're overlooking. Tom?
nbflint

Lessons Schedule

Post by nbflint »

I've been working on a Lesson Schedule for my Elder's Quorum and I thought I'd post it here in case anyone is interested. The forth Sunday's are left blank because I don't know what GC talks my stake has/will assign yet. The only other change you would have to make would be to change the date of Stake Conference and add your Ward Conference.

The schedule is designed to fit inside the front cover of the manual. The book mark is just that. This is not a "finished product" but I thought I'd share it anyway. If you have questions, comments or otherwise I'm happy to field them.
Attachments
EQ Lesson Schedule.zip
(16.43 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”