Reducing paper usage for MLS reports

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
CurtissAlloyGreer

Reducing paper usage for MLS reports

Post by CurtissAlloyGreer »

I am 74 and have been called as secetary of Priesthood. One of my first duties was to collect attendance. I was given a 3 page printout of names. Looking this over I decided to build my own spreadsheet in excel to enter the data. I discovered that it took less than 1 sheet of paper. I then was given a membership printout. This printout was horendous in the waste of paper. I went to stake president. He said my idea could save tens of thousand sheets of paper. Talked to ward cleark and found our his primary printout was 20 sheets of paper. There are not that many in primary. With my limited knowledge of programming. I can see where some minor changes in data entry could save much paper. I understand our ward cleark saying thats just the way it is you can't do nothing about it. A little humor my Mother told me can't never did anything.
Would like to converse with someone about this as I see a way to save paper that costs money which would allow better use of tithes. I am retired and can be available most of the time.
Thank you
greer6085@comcast.net
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

All of these things are a result of the way MLS is programmed by the folks at Church Headquarters. You ward clerk can give you an e-mail address where you would be able to make suggestions for improvement in MLS to the developers. That may be your best starting point.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

You can also ask your ward clerk to create custom reports for you; many times a custom report can be created with the information you need, but leaving out other information that you don't need, reducing the size of the report and the amount of paper it takes to print.
CurtissAlloyGreer

contact information

Post by CurtissAlloyGreer »

Need contact information RE: change in program to save paper when printing reports.
greer6085@comcast.net
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CurtissAlloyGreer wrote:Need contact information RE: change in program to save paper when printing reports.

As lajackson noted, you can send in your information via email. See Local Unit Support for contact options.

FYI, I did some reorganization on these threads to make this discussion more coherent:
  1. Moved this latest post requesting contact information into the existing thread, originally titled "Secretary High Priests Group"
  2. Renamed the thread to be "Reducing paper usage in MLS reports", which seemed more fitting to the topic at hand.
  3. Moved the thread to the MLS Support, Help, and Feedback forum.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jstamps

Post by jstamps »

CurtissAlloyGreer wrote: This printout was horendous in the waste of paper.

I've been showing individuals the ward directory that can be printed from your ward website. It's formatted much differently with many options, and I think it can use 2-3 times less paper.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”