ward bulletins covers and christmas cards

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
farwest

ward bulletins covers and christmas cards

Post by farwest »

We used to get our ward bulletins and christmas cards from a company in Provo or Orem and they are no longer in business. Does anyone know where to purchase them and the contact info?
sharonlower

Post by sharonlower »

I Used Joseph Lyons in Utah
The website is still there...
http://www.josephlyon.com
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

When we lived in Tennessee, our ward's Primary Presidency had each child draw a gospel related picture on plain white paper. They wrote their names on it. Those became the cover art for the ward bulletins for the next several years. No cost. Family involvement. What's not to love?

We usually use an appropriate Christmas-theme paper for a Bishop's message that we mail out instead of cards.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I like to download a variety of temple photos from the church web site. Free and simple. And most of them look just fine when duplicated on the monochrome copier.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:I like to download a variety of temple photos from the church web site.

That's fine as long as it's the church/Intellectual Reserve that holds the copyright to the photo. Otherwise, it may violate whatever use agreement the church may have with the copyright owner.

I took a quick look at the gallery, and wasn't able to find any indication as to who the owner(s) are.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:That's fine as long as it's the church/Intellectual Reserve that holds the copyright to the photo. Otherwise, it may violate whatever use agreement the church may have with the copyright owner.

I took a quick look at the gallery, and wasn't able to find any indication as to who the owner(s) are.
If you look at the lds.org Terms of Use, it states:
All material found at this site (including visuals, text, icons, displays, databases, media, and general information), is owned or licensed by us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your personal, noncommercial use unless otherwise indicated.
So, does that mean it's OK to use any visuals found there for ward programs (unless noted)?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I guess that depends on if that comma between "personal" and "noncommercial" means "and" or "or". But we're drifting into legal discussion.

The only way I know of to settle it definitively is to contact Intellectual Reserve.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

RussellHltn wrote:But we're drifting into legal discussion.
You bring up an interesting point, however. Where is the "written permission" contained on the church web site which allows someone to use recordings or transcriptions of General Conference in their church lessons or Sacrament Meeting talks? The disclaimer at the beginning of the broadcast is very air-tight about use of the broadcast, since it doesn't even allow "personal" use as opposed to other uses.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:You bring up an interesting point, however. Where is the "written permission" contained on the church web site which allows someone to use recordings or transcriptions of General Conference in their church lessons or Sacrament Meeting talks? The disclaimer at the beginning of the broadcast is very air-tight about use of the broadcast, since it doesn't even allow "personal" use as opposed to other uses.
But the disclaimer at the beginning of the broadcast applies only to the broadcast. As soon as it gets split up and posted on lds.org in different formats and sections, that disclaimer no longer applies, but the site's terms of use will govern the usage.

That still leaves open the question of what "personal use" means, but I have zero concerns that any usage of recordings or transcriptions that is clearly within the scope of our Church assignments will lead to any legal action from Intellectual Reserve.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

aebrown wrote:...but I have zero concerns that any usage of recordings or transcriptions that is clearly within the scope of our Church assignments will lead to any legal action from Intellectual Reserve.

And that's exactly my point. But whether we're talking about General Conference or church-produced temple photos we're talking about the same terms of use.

Return to “General Discussions”