Building Scheduler Not Able to See One Unit Resource Reservation in Meetinghouse

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jsberry

Building Scheduler Not Able to See One Unit Resource Reservation in Meetinghouse

Post by jsberry »

I am a Stake Website Administrator. I have been working with a building scheduler in our Stake who is not able to see ONE unit of the three unit resource reservations within the building she is scheduler. When she clears all the subscribed locations and check marks the one meetinghouse where she is building scheduler only two unit's resource reservations display. One unit information is missing. She has verified that the unit has selected the correct meetinghouse, designated the resources within the meetinghouse and it is showing up on the calendar for the ward that posted it. She has also checked that the calendar is not private. This is for several of that units calendars, not just one. She reports that there are quite a few "unsubscribed calendars" listed in the drop down box in any event details box but those unsubscribed calendars do not show up on her list of available calendars to which she can subscribe. She has subscribed to all calendars available to her. This is causing problems as the "missing unit" thinks they have reserved a resource but neither of the other units that share the meetinghouse can see it. I also cannot see their reservations. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jsberry wrote:I am a Stake Website Administrator. I have been working with a building scheduler in our Stake who is not able to see ONE unit of the three unit resource reservations within the building she is scheduler. When she clears all the subscribed locations and check marks the one meetinghouse where she is building scheduler only two unit's resource reservations display. One unit information is missing. She has verified that the unit has selected the correct meetinghouse, designated the resources within the meetinghouse and it is showing up on the calendar for the ward that posted it. She has also checked that the calendar is not private. This is for several of that units calendars, not just one.

That does indeed seem unusual, and it sounds like you have asked the building scheduler to check everything I can think of on her end.
jsberry wrote:She reports that there are quite a few "unsubscribed calendars" listed in the drop down box in any event details box but those unsubscribed calendars do not show up on her list of available calendars to which she can subscribe. She has subscribed to all calendars available to her.

That is normal. A building scheduler will usually see a long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list for event details -- all the calendars for all the units in the building, of which many will be for units the scheduler is not a member of.

But although a building scheduler can modify events on other calendars, that doesn't mean he or she will be able to subscribe to those calendars (even though a couple of messages seem to imply that). You can only subscribe to calendars for units you are a member of, even if you are a building scheduler.
jsberry wrote:This is causing problems as the "missing unit" thinks they have reserved a resource but neither of the other units that share the meetinghouse can see it.

That is most strange. Have you tried to schedule an event at the same time for the same resource? I would hope that even if other units can't see the resource reservations, those reservations are at least honored by the conflict checker.
jsberry wrote:I also cannot see their reservations.

As a troubleshooting step, you might consider temporarily adding yourself as a building scheduler. Then you can see if you have the same experience as the scheduler you are working with. That will let you know if it is somehow related to her account, or if there is something strange with the location itself. From what you've said, I strongly suspect the latter.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jsberry wrote:She has verified that the unit has selected the correct meetinghouse, designated the resources within the meetinghouse and it is showing up on the calendar for the ward that posted it.

I know you said you checked it, but I think it's worth double-checking. Make sure that if the unit is reserving the Cultural Hall, that they have actually selected the Cultural hall and not selected "Other Locations" and typed in "Cultural Hall" in the description.

It's possible that someone entered a number of events before the resources where created, or didn't understand the correct way to do it. It would certainly describe the problems your are seeing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

aebrown wrote:That does indeed seem unusual, and it sounds like you have asked the building scheduler to check everything I can think of on her end.
That is normal. A building scheduler will usually see a long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list for event details -- all the calendars for all the units in the building, of which many will be for units the scheduler is not a member of.

The question I have is when the building scheduler sees this long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list that represent the various calendars from all the wards, how is he able to tell which "Relief Society" calendar is correct for the ward he wants? For example, several wards all create a "Relief Society" calendar. But when the building scheduler looks at the calendars he sees many with that name and no indication of which "Relief Society" calendar goes with which ward? In our ward we put a ward abbreviation in front of every calendar so the building scheduler could tell.

Are we missing something here or is this a bug that is going to be fixed in the next release?

Thank you.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

aebrown wrote:That is normal. A building scheduler will usually see a long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list for event details -- all the calendars for all the units in the building, of which many will be for units the scheduler is not a member of.
The question I have is when the building scheduler sees this long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list that represent the various calendars from all the wards, how is he able to tell which "Relief Society" calendar is correct for the ward he wants? For example, several wards all create a "Relief Society" calendar. But when the building scheduler looks at the calendars he sees many with that name and no indication of which "Relief Society" calendar goes with which ward? In our ward we put a ward abbreviation in front of every calendar so the building scheduler could tell.

Are we missing something here or is this a bug that is going to be fixed in the next release?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mprusse wrote:The question I have is when the building scheduler sees this long list of unsubscribed calendars in the drop-down list that represent the various calendars from all the wards, how is he able to tell which "Relief Society" calendar is correct for the ward he wants? For example, several wards all create a "Relief Society" calendar. But when the building scheduler looks at the calendars he sees many with that name and no indication of which "Relief Society" calendar goes with which ward? In our ward we put a ward abbreviation in front of every calendar so the building scheduler could tell.

You're not missing anything. Unless you can get clues from the event title, description, or the person who scheduled it, it's tough to tell which "Relief Society" calendar it came from. It's a bit of a hassle, but generally the name of the person who scheduled the event should allow the building scheduler to figure out which ward scheduled it. Your idea of including the name of the ward in the calendar name is a good one, to make it even easier.

I don't know if the developers would consider this a "bug" per se, but I would also hope that it might be addressed. However, there are no indications on the beta for v2 of the calendar that this has been addressed in that upcoming release.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

aebrown wrote:You're not missing anything. Unless you can get clues from the event title, description, or the person who scheduled it, it's tough to tell which "Relief Society" calendar it came from. It's a bit of a hassle, but generally the name of the person who scheduled the event should allow the building scheduler to figure out which ward scheduled it. Your idea of including the name of the ward in the calendar name is a good one, to make it even easier.

I don't know if the developers would consider this a "bug" per se, but I would also hope that it might be addressed. However, there are no indications on the beta for v2 of the calendar that this has been addressed in that upcoming release.

Glad to know I'm not crazy! However, in the event that the building scheduler receives a call to schedule the building, this would be impossible to know what calendar to put it on.

In the meantime, I'll suggest that all ward calendars use a prefix code to their calendars. Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mprusse wrote:In the meantime, I'll suggest that all ward calendars use a prefix code to their calendars. Thank you.
For now, that seems to be the only way to go.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

mprusse wrote:In the meantime, I'll suggest that all ward calendars use a prefix code to their calendars. Thank you.

That is how we have implemented it in our stake. We request that any calendars created by wards have their "prefix" added. This helps group the calendars by ward when selecting them from a stake perspective as well.

Return to “Calendar”