Organizations for a member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colemansd

Organizations for a member

Post by colemansd »

I've noticed that when I look at the organizations a member is assigned to almost all of them have "Primary - Do Not Contact" listed. Does anyone know what this means or what the purpose of this "class" is?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

colemansd wrote:I've noticed that when I look at the organizations a member is assigned to almost all of them have "Primary - Do Not Contact" listed. Does anyone know what this means or what the purpose of this "class" is?
That's clearly a custom class in the Primary organization that someone in your ward set up. Classes in MLS have rules that determine who will automatically be put in them. For example, the CTR4 class will have an age rule of being 4 at the beginning of the year and no more than 5 by the end of the year.

It's not uncommon for clerks who don't understand that to create a class with no rules, thinking they will move people manually into the class as needed. But if no rules are specified, then every member of the ward matches the rules. So whenever any event occurs for a member, that causes MLS to evaluate if someone should automatically be added to a class (moving into the ward is an obvious one, but there are others), that member will be put in that class.

In the wiki article Classes you'll find an explanation of all this. Look at the section labeled Specialty classes for the proper way to define such a class, and Changing class rules for the technique for fixing your existing problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
colemansd

Post by colemansd »

Thanks for that info. That is exactly what happened. It looks like I've got a bit of work to do to make sure all the classes have the appropriate rules.

Return to “Membership Help”