Cannot download Magazines from Manage Library

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
Prodigal

Cannot download Magazines from Manage Library

Post by Prodigal »

On both my iPhone & iPad, I'm unable to download magazines via Manage Library. I've tried multiple issues of the Ensign from both 2010 & 2011 on both devices. The green icon disappears and changes to the spinning "gear" as expected, and the title bar shows network traffic. The green arrow then re-appears and the Magazines do not show up in the main menu.

I tried power cycling my iPad without success, and then removing the app entirely and reinstalling it from the App Store. Now the Manage Library section is completely blank, with the language selection drop down also being blank. Tapping on the drop down causes the app to crash more often than not. The app is effectively useless now, as my library is now blank and there's nothing to add to it.
Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

After several additional attempts the library starting populating again, although actually downloading things is hit and miss. In retrospect, I've noticed connection issues with the LDS Tools app on Sundays, and it occurs to me that this is likely a server issue, and the app is crashing/not populating menus because it's not able to communicate with the server. The fact that it took several minutes to download 0.2MB over a 25Mbit connection tends to point to this as well.

I can't imagine this is a type of scheduled maintenance, as I'm sure the tech folks at the church have to know that Sundays are going to be peak times for these type of apps; and thus I can only conclude that server capacity is inadequate to the current level of use. Hopefully (provided this is the case) they are working to significantly increase said capacity.
pad26

Post by pad26 »

I can not download any magazines to my touch 4.2.1 model MC086LL. I don't want to reinstall for fear of losing all media. I had 2011 ensigns jan-may after trying to update for later issues I have none of 2011. I know I have an earlier model of I Touch but it was still working great until a couple of months ago. Now no current magazines.
pad26

Post by pad26 »

pad26 wrote:I can not download any magazines to my touch 4.2.1 model MC086LL. I don't want to reinstall for fear of losing all media. I had 2011 ensigns jan-may after trying to update for later issues I have none of 2011. I know I have an earlier model of I Touch but it was still working great until a couple of months ago. Now no current magazines.

As I continue to assuage this question and work with my "Touch" I am finding the only downloads available to my Ipod touch are videos of April Conference. Does anyone have any ideas? " Help" assigned me a case # but has yet to reply. I can't be the only one with the problem.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”