Laptop Performance Issue

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

harddrive

Laptop Performance Issue

Post by harddrive »

My stake president has the following specs on his laptop

AMD Turion Dual Core RM 70
3.00 GB Ram
Nvidia GeFroce 820 M G

He attempted to have a stake presidency meeting using the PVC with his laptop and he said that the video was choppy and the sound wasn't the great.

He and I got into a private call and it worked good, but not great. I don't know his Internet speed. However, we looked at the conference status and his CPU was maxed out. I don't know what OS he is running or much else.

I'm wondering what tweaks I can do to get this computer to run better with PVC. I have other computers and they run great, but most are running Windows 7 and Intel chips, not AMD. I have not tried this on a Windows XP.

So any suggestions or helps what can be done to optimize his experience will be greatly appreciated.
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

Could be a fragmented Hard Drive try defragmenting and then do a test to see if that fixes the problem.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Defragmenting may help, but if the CPU is maxed, then the only thing left is to see if the drivers are up to date and hardware acceleration is turned on for the video drivers. You may want to check what is maxing out the CPU.

You might also try disabling any Anti-virus for the duration of the conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

RussellHltn wrote:Defragmenting may help, but if the CPU is maxed, then the only thing left is to see if the drivers are up to date and hardware acceleration is turned on for the video drivers. You may want to check what is maxing out the CPU.

You might also try disabling any Anti-virus for the duration of the conference.

I haven't taken a direct look at the laptop, but if I can I will.

thanks
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

As I am sure you know bandwidth plays a HUGE role in all of this as well. Understanding that his CPU was maxed is one big contributor and what has been said should help. But always be concerned with bandwidth and being wired and not wireless in your connection. Yes, it can work on a wireless connection, BUT, it is not the best solution. Also it does make a difference having your laptop plugged in! :-)
Troy
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SheffieldTR wrote:But always be concerned with bandwidth and being wired and not wireless in your connection. Yes, it can work on a wireless connection, BUT, it is not the best solution.
Some network cards place an additional load on the CPU. So it's worth checking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”