4G for Meetinghouse broadband service

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

4G for Meetinghouse broadband service

Post by johnshaw »

Is anyone out there using a 4G or 3G broadband connection for a meetinghouse. How is that going for you? Anything to watch for? Are you able to broadcast?
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

JohnShaw wrote:Is anyone out there using a 4G or 3G broadband connection for a meetinghouse. How is that going for you? Anything to watch for? Are you able to broadcast?
There are quite a few 881w installations that use a CradlePoint device with a 4g/3g usb modem and it seems to work fine. Activation can sometimes be a bit tricky as the upload latency can cause problems. I have also heard Verizon leases a 10.0.0.0. 255.255.0.0 on the WAN side of the CradlePoint which can make activation impossible until you call them. I have been told you can call them and they can change that though but I haven't seen that personally. I haven't heard of any complaints though once they are activated and working.
paulscherbel
Church Employee
Church Employee

Broadcasting with 3G or 4G

Post by paulscherbel »

JohnShaw wrote:Is anyone out there using a 4G or 3G broadband connection for a meetinghouse. How is that going for you? Anything to watch for? Are you able to broadcast?

Though we see some meetinghouses using 3G or 4G ISPs when no better options are available, we don't recommend using it for broadcasting, especially at the originating end of the stream. Sometimes it will work fine in testing, but when you have a room full of people who may have devices trying to connect to the same cell tower, it often does not work well enough.
Paul Scherbel

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”