Sophos Won't Update on Win7 Machine

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

Sophos Won't Update on Win7 Machine

Post by techgy »

After installing the Sophos AV package on a new Win7 (Optiplex 580) I found that Sophos won't do an update - manual or otherwise. I keep seeing "Can't Locate Server" when the update is attempted. I've contacted the Global Service Desk and reported it but they haven't call me back as yet.

I've also talked to two other STS's in neighboring stakes and one of them reports having the same problem on new machines. I was told that this is a known issue.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the resolution?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Over the weekend I got the same message on a WinXP machine. I assume the church servers were just down at that time as the message went away later.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Over the weekend I got the same message on a WinXP machine. I assume the church servers were just down at that time as the message went away later.
I had observed this over the conference weekend. However, I'm not having any problems since then with any of the WinXP machines. It's just the new Win7 boxes and, as I mentioned, it's not just me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I installed a couple of Win7 machines a couple of months ago and I don't recall any problems getting them updated while I had them connected.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

techgy wrote:I had observed this over the conference weekend. However, I'm not having any problems since then with any of the WinXP machines. It's just the new Win7 boxes and, as I mentioned, it's not just me.
A quick check of the log shows the last successful update for my Win7 machines was Saturday, Oct 1. Ever since then the updates have been failing. Don't have any XP machines anymore, so I can't report on that.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Our ward XP machine has not updated since September 28th, the last time before general conference when it was used. Since conference there have been two sessions that Sophos has not updated. The last was on October 4th.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pani

Post by pani »

I'm getting the same error message on an XP machine, so I guess its more widespread than just Windows 7.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

pani wrote:I'm getting the same error message on an XP machine, so I guess its more widespread than just Windows 7.
This past weekend the update was working, but now - after just checking a few minutes ago, it appears that the update process is dead - not only for Win7, but for XP as well.

Looks like it's definitely a problem with the server.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I also have the same problem with XP. I tried a forced update on Tuesday evening, without success.

I agree with the other posts, it looks like a potential server problem.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I received a call back from the engineer responsible for the Sophos package.
One of the servers was hung up. I'm now getting updates.

Return to “Clerk Computers”