Roughing in the 881

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aclawson

Roughing in the 881

Post by aclawson »

The WAPs are going to be delivered to the building a bit sooner than the internet connection so I may as well work on figuring out where to put them. Out of the box, if I plug one in will it immediately activate a generic AP? If it does then I can place them on the floor in the hall and move them around until I can get a decent idea of where the holes are going to be drilled in the ceiling. Even better if I can use my laptop to play around with channeling and experiment until I find the best configuration.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Out of the box, if I plug one in will it immediately activate a generic AP?
No, it doesn't. It has to access the church servers to configure itself. (I tried)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

It will take about 20 minutes for the 881W, but the 1041n will be done in about 5 to 10 minutes
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I found the Cisco equipment doesn't seem all that much more powerful then standard home devices. If you've got a spare Wireless Router, you can use that to get some ideas as to how far the signal will go in your building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

In some spots that would be about 30 feet - and that is with the most powerful wireless access point ever sold to consumers. Reinforced cinderblock and a wall of ductwork + a 20' fire curtain do not leave me with the best possible environment.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”