Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
johnshaw

Priesthood Session Audio/Video

Post by johnshaw »

Why is the priesthood session not available for download from lds.org, last year I could at least watch the version with sign language but it still had full audio/video. This year there isn't any audio. Why are there no individual sessions like all others including the women's broadcast?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jshawut wrote:Why is the priesthood session not available for download from lds.org, last year I could at least watch the version with sign language but it still had full audio/video. This year there isn't any audio. Why are there no individual sessions like all others including the women's broadcast?
I seem to recall this question had been asked in another thread, and the answer was that the priesthood session would not be made available in audio/video formats. The reason for that decision was explained in that thread.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rmrichesjr wrote:I seem to recall this question had been asked in another thread, and the answer was that the priesthood session would not be made available in audio/video formats. The reason for that decision was explained in that thread.
I just did a search for the following and didn't find another thread about this topic:
  • priesthood session
  • download priesthood
I would have thought one of these searches would have found it...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Darn. I remember the subject coming up before. But was it here or some other place? I tried searching this site using google and not having any better luck.

This was discussed on the LDS-Palm group, but I don't recall a definitive answer there.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

My guess would be "because the Brethren say so." Not that I imagine it would be or is a popular answer. Personally, it confuses me cause the audio/video is released on DVD, CD, and other formats for purchase.

On a similar thread, I'd like to see the RS/YW broadcasts published on DVD/CD with Conference sessions since the text is available in the Ensign with Conference material. I imagine it would be helpful for RS and YW lessons to have these materials available for lessons. I'd also like to see audio downloads of the music from these sessions available separate from talks.
fraserredmond

Post by fraserredmond »

kgthunder wrote:On a similar thread, I'd like to see the RS/YW broadcasts published on DVD/CD with Conference sessions since the text is available in the Ensign with Conference material. I imagine it would be helpful for RS and YW lessons to have these materials available for lessons. I'd also like to see audio downloads of the music from these sessions available separate from talks.
Fortunately, here in NZ our stake records the YW/RS session so we do get that on disc, but I'd definitely second having the music available separately!

I think the policy on the Priesthood session is related to encouraging the brethren to not be lazy and go to the session together... though that doesn't explain why the archives aren't made available online later.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've noticed in the past that Priesthood has always been treated differently. I remember going to a chapel to hear it over a long distance phone line. All other sessions where hit or miss at the pleasure of the local media. I believe I've also seen instructions indicating that the church would pay for the long distance phone call to carry Priesthood if required (such as a satellite system failure). Likewise I remember hearing announcements in PH sessions something like "for the outlying areas," and then goes on to tell them who the new apostles are.

I haven't kept close watch, but I think the satellite receiver goes into encrypted mode before PH. I know it's done that in the past. And of course the PH isn't carried on local cable like the General Sessions are. The talks are carried in the Ensign, but I don't think any of the announcements are.

I would appreciate learning some of the theology/policy behind the above observations, but as pointed out, we may have to settle for "because the brethren have said so". I can only speculate as to the reason.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Talking about the technology behind the broadcast of the general conference priesthood session is great but speculating about why or why not our leadership chooses to make something available is probably not a good topic for these forums. I'll try and get an official statement.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

As for the technology they do encrypt the satellite transmission of priesthood session so that only the church MPEG receivers can decrypt and display. They are still recorded and available at the ward libraries though. And my mother comes and watches them in the high council room each time too.
- David
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

jshawut wrote:This year there isn't any audio. Why are there no individual sessions like all others including the women's broadcast?
I downloaded the ASL Quicktime video of the Priesthood session shortly after conference and it had both the video and audio. Since I use the audio of conference extensively in mp3 format I've had to chop up the video and convert to mp3. It's a process, but I'm not patient enough to wait for the dvd's, nor do I like to pay for them.

Return to “Main Church Website”