set up time versus start time

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
amajeske

set up time versus start time

Post by amajeske »

We are having a bit of confusion. We have multiple wards in our building and when scheduling a room, if someone sets aside set up and clean up time, then members see the wrong time when they look at the calendar for an event. It would be great if the calendar could have set up and clean up times in addition to start and end times. Any suggestions from others on what to do since that isn't a choice?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lediesa wrote:We are having a bit of confusion. We have multiple wards in our building and when scheduling a room, if someone sets aside set up and clean up time, then members see the wrong time when they look at the calendar for an event. It would be great if the calendar could have set up and clean up times in addition to start and end times. Any suggestions from others on what to do since that isn't a choice?

The good news is that version 2 of the calendar (currently in beta) has the feature you want -- you can specify set up and clean up times that extend the reservations for an event.

Until that feature is available, the best ideas I have seen deal with using a separate calendar (in our stake we call it "Resource Only") where you schedule the setup and cleanup times. It's a bit of a pain to maintain, but it allows you to publish the actual start and end time on the appropriate calendar, so there is no confusion for those attending, but also reserve the necessary resources for the full time you need them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That feature will be available in the next verson of the calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jolleyjamie

Post by jolleyjamie »

I also make a notation in the subject/title line that says the time it starts (ex. "Baptism @ 2:30pm) and then make sure that in the description I've put in the start time immediately. Seems to help a bit.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jolleyjamie wrote:I also make a notation in the subject/title line that says the time it starts (ex. "Baptism @ 2:30pm) and then make sure that in the description I've put in the start time immediately. Seems to help a bit.
But note that version 2 has been released. So the new feature for setup and cleanup time is available now.

So if the baptism starts at 2:30 but setup needs to start at 2:00, go ahead and schedule it for 2:30, and specify 30 minutes of setup. Then the rooms will be reserved starting at 2:00 (no one else will be able to reserve the rooms then) but the calendar (including synchronized calendars on Google calendar or smart phones) will simply say that the event starts at 2:30. There is no longer any need to make notations in the event name that say anything like "@ 2:30pm".

See Schedule an Event in the help system for details.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”