IROPS and Desert Bookstore Orders

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
allenjpl

IROPS and Desert Bookstore Orders

Post by allenjpl »

Bishop gave me something today that I'm not quite sure what to do with. Sometime in the past few months, someone bought a few manuals from a Desert Bookstore and charged it to the unit. DB sent us an invoice with a little note saying that it would not be paid automatically. No big deal, I've been down this road before. I brought it the Bishop's attention and he signed off on the payment request form. Then, MLS says I've got an IROP. I pull it up, and it references the DB invoice number. The IROP also says not to pay it, because it will be directly debited from the account, but that hasn't happened yet. My instinct is that there is a crossed wire somewhere, and that somehow a DB order got miscoded as a Distribution center order, and that I should go ahead and cut the check. Thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

allenjpl wrote:MLS says I've got an IROP. I pull it up, and it references the DB invoice number. The IROP also says not to pay it, because it will be directly debited from the account, but that hasn't happened yet. My instinct is that there is a crossed wire somewhere, and that somehow a DB order got miscoded as a Distribution center order, and that I should go ahead and cut the check.
I would not cut the check if you have an IROPS for the same thing. Your unit account will be billed. If you cut the check, you will pay twice.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One way to look at it, what's worse? Double-paying (and trying to get a refund) or not paying? The first one sounds like a hassle. On the second one, the worst they could do is assess a late fee. But I think you've got a good reason for the confusion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You could contact the Desert Bookstore and make an inquiry about the invoice number and whether it has been paid.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

UPDATE: The payment was taken directly from the unit account. But, get this, it did not come from the Distribution Charges account. Instead, it came from the Other:AMFA account on the same day the IROP was transmitted. This is the same parent account that recieves the deposits for the interest on the other accounts. This is also the account that CHQ used to use to record any errors in the donation batch / returned checks, etc. Odd.
quicky

Post by quicky »

So the funds transfer option isn't going to work to, say, pay for Young Women's medallions or whatever was purchased and billed to Deseret Book. Are we going to need to write a check from a budget account and deposit it to the AMFA account? I also just got an IROP from Deseret Book for heaven only knows what and it was charged to the parent AMFA header. What is the protocol here? KQ
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Quicky wrote:So the funds transfer option isn't going to work to, say, pay for Young Women's medallions or whatever was purchased and billed to Deseret Book. Are we going to need to write a check from a budget account and deposit it to the AMFA account? I also just got an IROP from Deseret Book for heaven only knows what and it was charged to the parent AMFA header. What is the protocol here? KQ
The simplest procedure is to recategorize the expense. You can change the category to a Budget subcategory, if that's where it should be charged (which is most likely).

I contacted Local Unit Support about this specific issue last month, and that's what I was told. They said that eventually new charges of this type would be made against the Budget:Distribution Services subcategory (or at least some subcategory of Budget), but didn't know when that change would happen.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

That was what I was instructed to do as well. You can just open the expense entry in the view/edit expenses and change the category there. It can't be fixed with a normal transfer, since that only works from one category to the same category (ie budget:cookies to budget:cake). Be sure to transmit afterwords so it will be fixed on the next financial statement as well.

I have let finance support about the issue with a couple of messages, hopefully they get it fixed before the end of the year.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”