email notifications

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sparc5

email notifications

Post by sparc5 »

I created a calendar event but I was not given the option of sending out an email to those that are subscribed to that particular calendar which was "Ward Activities". Why is that? When I created a calendar event for my wife's choir practices last month (also "Ward Activitits") I was given the option of sending out email and how soon before the event the emails were to be sent. I am subscribed to the ward activities calender but received no notification.
Attachments
Cole-1.jpg
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sparc5 wrote:I created a calendar event but I was not given the option of sending out an email to those that are subscribed to that particular calendar which was "Ward Activities". Why is that? When I created a calendar event for my wife's choir practices last month (also "Ward Activitits") I was given the option of sending out email and how soon before the event the emails were to be sent. I am subscribed to the ward activities calender but received no notification.
As mentioned in this post, notifications (except for on deleted events) were recently disabled on the Calendar. At this point, I haven't heard why it was removed, or when the capability might be restored.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Email notifications for events were disabled due to a high volume complaints about notifications that were being sent incorrectly. This functionality will be restored sometime in the near future. I'd give a more precise window, but it depends on several other priorities that we are juggling right now.
jhowell2000

E-mail notifications

Post by jhowell2000 »

jdcr256 wrote:Email notifications for events were disabled due to a high volume complaints about notifications that were being sent incorrectly. This functionality will be restored sometime in the near future. I'd give a more precise window, but it depends on several other priorities that we are juggling right now.

Thanks for reply, hope this feature is restored soon.
corkis84

Post by corkis84 »

jdcr256 wrote:Email notifications for events were disabled due to a high volume complaints about notifications that were being sent incorrectly. This functionality will be restored sometime in the near future. I'd give a more precise window, but it depends on several other priorities that we are juggling right now.

Could this function possibly be restored to private calenders for now. As an Executive Secretary it has been an invaluable tool in notifying bishops of scheduled appointments without them having to constantly sync or log on to the calendar website. If complaints have been made I am sure they are in regards to the public calendars.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

corkis84 wrote:Could this function possibly be restored to private calenders for now. As an Executive Secretary it has been an invaluable tool in notifying bishops of scheduled appointments without them having to constantly sync or log on to the calendar website. If complaints have been made I am sure they are in regards to the public calendars.
I suspect the "complaints" mentioned are due to the fact that the notifications were not being sent at the correct time chosen by user. Obviously, there is a bug in the system they are working on...
ronnieadam

Post by ronnieadam »

I agree with corkis84. This function is sorely missed.
MichaelKofoed

Please...

Post by MichaelKofoed »

Please add this feature as soon as possible. Many of my ward members have asked about and it has created some confusion since I recently taught ward council members about the new ward calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I would just add that I haven't heard any significant complaints about the immediate email notifications. The huge problems were in the area of the delayed notifications (e.g., send a message 1 day before the event). If we could just have the immediate notifications back, we could choose to send a message manually at any point. That would be much better than no notification feature at all. I'd hate to see any delay in the restoration of the immediate notifications because there is still work to do on the delayed notification feature.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote:I would just add that I haven't heard any significant complaints about the immediate email notifications. The huge problems were in the area of the delayed notifications (e.g., send a message 1 day before the event). If we could just have the immediate notifications back, we could choose to send a message manually at any point. That would be much better than no notification feature at all. I'd hate to see any delay in the restoration of the immediate notifications because there is still work to do on the delayed notification feature.
Agreed. We stopped using the delayed feature, and just began manually using the "send an email now" when we wanted it sent, be it a day or ten minutes before an event. It is missed, as this email feature is one of the huge benefits of the online calendar, and hope development of it is a top priority. It moves the calendar from the "pull"- a member actually logging into the calendar to view info, to a "push" of information, where a member can be reminded in his inbox of an event, and then click the link to go to the calendar if needed, and many organizations love that.

Return to “Calendar”