Calendar change release information

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dshep2020

Calendar change release information

Post by dshep2020 »

With the calendar connectivity issues that many of us have encountered and the removal of the problematic notification check box (notify now and in the future), is there any communication that goes out to users (email, wiki post, forum post, etc) that provides information about changes? Is there a church policy that is preventing this from occurring? Even a simple post with time and date of changes and a list of items that were resolved and/or changed would be a great benefit to those that end up supporting our local units and stakes. At the very least, it provides us some context as to why issues arise.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshepher wrote:is there any communication that goes out to users (email, wiki post, forum post, etc) that provides information about changes? Is there a church policy that is preventing this from occurring? Even a simple post with time and date of changes and a list of items that were resolved and/or changed would be a great benefit to those that end up supporting our local units and stakes.

+1

When I'm supporting people in my stake, it's a bit embarrassing to tell them to use a particular feature, only to find out that a week ago it was changed significantly or removed. Having a basic report of items changed would be a big help.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

We've made an effort from time to time to post some trimmed down release notes whenever we've made a new release, but it's not part of our standard process. We will work on being more consistent in the future.

The forum for each respective app would be the only place we would make the announcement for the time being.
rjmurphy

Calendar Features

Post by rjmurphy »

I came here to see if the removal of the email notification was a bug that was introduced and it looks like it may have been removed intentionally. If that is the case is there some new feature that is intended to replace it. This was a very valuable feature. If some people did not like it a possible solution would be to allow a user to opt out of update emails.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rjmurphy wrote:I came here to see if the removal of the email notification was a bug that was introduced and it looks like it may have been removed intentionally. If that is the case is there some new feature that is intended to replace it. This was a very valuable feature. If some people did not like it a possible solution would be to allow a user to opt out of update emails.

The intent is to fix the notification system and then enable it again (there won't be a new feature that replaces it). But I haven't heard any timeline for that yet.

People can already opt out of receiving emails, but in my experience, relatively few people know about that capability, or bother to use it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The intent is to fix the notification system and then enable it again (there won't be a new feature that replaces it). But I haven't heard any timeline for that yet.

From what I've read, V2 uses a different database, so I'm not sure that it would be a wise use of resources to try to fix it in V1.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LynnNielson

Post by LynnNielson »

If I understand the discussion, the feature that would send an email when a new calendar event was added has been removed. Will this feature be added back? It was very useful.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lynnnielson wrote:If I understand the discussion, the feature that would send an email when a new calendar event was added has been removed. Will this feature be added back? It was very useful.
Actually, the notification when an event is deleted is the one event-related notification feature that still remains. It's still up to the person who is deleting the event to decide if a notification should be sent, but it is still an option.

Return to “Calendar”