Women as members of the scout committee

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Women as members of the scout committee

Post by SheffieldTR »

I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to select a sister as a member of the scout committee? For some reason MLS does not allow us to do so.
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

You can use the custom positions features.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tsheffield wrote:I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to select a sister as a member of the scout committee? For some reason MLS does not allow us to do so.
You may want to check the Church Handbook of Instructions and the Scouting Handbook to make sure that's allowed. Such problems are usually caused by MLS following policy.

Off hand I'm not sure what the policy is on Scouting.
chrissv

Post by chrissv »

RussellHltn wrote:You may want to check the Church Handbook of Instructions and the Scouting Handbook to make sure that's allowed..
FYI, on page 3 of the Scouting Handbook, it says:
The bishop calls capable adults to serve as committee members.... Fathers and Mothers of boys and young men may be considered as prospective committee members. The member of the ward Primary presidency responsible for eleven-year-old boys serves on the committee that serves Deacon-age Scouts.
I've often found the mothers to make the best committee members (maybe because the have it all together more than the men! :-)
SmithGW

Post by SmithGW »

I tried selecting a woman as a committee member in the new MLS 2.7 and found sisters' names on the list to choose from. There are a couple of things to consider:

1. I was using the latest update, released about a week ago.
2. I had administrator rights. I don't know if this makes any difference. I don't think it should, but you never know.
wraytogo-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

MLS version 2.7 allows you to select a Sister

Post by wraytogo-p40 »

Go to Organizations > Boy Scouts > Add Position > Select Scout Committee Member from the Drop down > Click Select > and every Adult (Brother or Sister) should appear on the drop down list. I just tried it and it worked for me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if the issue was something else? Perhaps the member in question isn't really in MLS but has only been requested? Or perhaps the birthdate is wrong showing her as a youth rather then an adult? I imagine the list of available adults is filtered in some way.

When the facts don't fit the theory, it's time for a new theory. ;)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”