Are New Calendar Training Materials Available?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dhamson

Are New Calendar Training Materials Available?

Post by dhamson »

I have sceduled training for Leaders and Org Administrators for Sept 22 and Sept 24. Are there any training materials, PPT slides, developed?

I made a rough outline, but sure could use a good guide to issue.

Anyone else have materials? I was planning to use the Beta database for classroom demo.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dhamson wrote:I have sceduled training for Leaders and Org Administrators for Sept 22 and Sept 24. Are there any training materials, PPT slides, developed?

Anyone else have materials? I was planning to use the Beta database for classroom demo.
Other than what's available under the Helps in the calendar itself, I don't believe you'll find anything else, unless someone has personally created something.
The calendar is still undergoing Beta testing which means that changes will be frequent and additional features will be created. A help file that kept up with these changes would be difficult to maintain. I would guess that at some future point that a more detailed help system would certainly be available.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dhamson wrote:I was planning to use the Beta database for classroom demo.

The problem is the Beta version is quite a bit different then the production version. The concepts are much the same, but the interface is different.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dhamson

Post by dhamson »

I there a target date when version 2.0 will be production? It may be wise to postpone training classes a month until version 2 is ready.
kisaac
Community Moderators

new calendar presentation? Show only generalizations until v2 is "live!"

Post by kisaac »

dhamson wrote:I have sceduled training for Leaders and Org Administrators for Sept 22 and Sept 24. Are there any training materials, PPT slides, developed?

Dhamson, there is no date I know of...
As techgy and RusselHltn suggested, we are caught in the middle...its a little early to create anything detailed for V2 calendar (now in beta, sept. 2011) and a little late to create it for v1 (the production calendar since fall 2010,) but the main concepts won't really change.

I also realize that stakes are already scheduling for 2012, and wards will be soon to follow, and they want direction NOW! However, it may be better to give only generalizations now, and the "click-by click" specific demonstrations later, when v2 goes online. It obviously is a work in progress, and you don't want to show things now that may change next week, or next month.

By generalizations, I mean show the new processes that probably won't change between versions 1 and 2. For example, you can use the calendar help files in your "online demonstration" that cover the paradigm shift away from the old LUWS calendar system to the new way...multiple calendars, many approvers, and online resource scheduling.

Try a "live" or "pretend live" presentation highlighting these:
Whats different about the new calendar.
followed by
A cultural Shift in Scheduling.

Then you might discuss appropriate stake, ward and organization level callings to facilitate a good structure for a successful calendar, including new roles for the traditional building scheduler.

This thread, with input by aebrown (one of the community calendaring experts,) may help you getting your stake-ward callings set-up. It's the structure I intend to present to my stake shortly:
Successful hierarchy of stake / ward callings for calendar/scheduling?

You might also highlight ideas to get more unit members "signed-up" and ready for this calendar, and using all the cool new tools already available, by registering for their own LDS account. I'm doing this now.

Just a discussion on these items and the resulting questions may fill up your meeting, and this would lay the ground work for a good "technical" discussion in the coming months.

If your units want to start scheduling 2012 now on v1, we've been told these events will transfer somehow to v2 when it is ready...They can begin a 2012 calendar now! And if they want the "pre-calendar" process to happen secretly, and have a grand unveiling to the ward/stake members at some future point, just uncheck the "make private" box when it's time to lift the curtain on your new calendar...it's like magic! (except no resources can be reserved on private calendars with v1...)

Just my thoughts...
and if you're reading this later than the fall of 2011, I guarantee its old!
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Here is one part of a generalized introduction to the new calendar that I'm preparing for some of our leaders. I intend also to create an organizational flow chart of callings, stake to ward, based on aebrown's description, referenced above.

I'll also incorporate the help files I mentioned above.

This PDF I've attached is incorporating the whole activities creation process after the new CHI's directives, rather than a "click-by-click" demonstration, because I think that adoption of the new calendar in my area is at a more general level right now. It deals with the more generalized questions like "who approves an event if it's not submitted anymore...." or "how do I schedule the building now?" rather than the specifics of how to enter an event on the calendar at LDS.org. I'll wait for that when V2 is released.

And, yes, I know there are a few typo's or misspellings...But I'm not quite finished!
dhamson

Post by dhamson »

I appreciate the feed back. I will push to organize a team with Ward Organizers and my self to develop a 2012 Stake/Ward Calendar model, learn how it works, then share with the Wards. I look forward to any additional materials that may be developed by the community. I will use this form in the next leadership training meeting.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote:Here is one part of a generalized introduction to the new calendar that I'm preparing for some of our leaders...

This PDF I've attached...

Sorry! I've removed my attachment until it is finished and corrected- but you get the general message of what I'm going to do until the church provides us something better...
good luck with your own stuff!

Return to “Calendar”