Resource Usage View on Calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
nathangg

Resource Usage View on Calendar?

Post by nathangg »

I apologize in advance if this is a re-post of a topic. I searched this forum but couldn't find anything definitive.

Is there an option to view who has a particular resource at a particular location as a monthly or weekly view? I know I can use the "Subscribed Locations" checkboxes to see what events are taking place at a location, but I wanted to filter down even further to a particular resource.

Here is what I'm trying to describe: http://screencast.com/t/uiELJCuVv

What you see in the image is one resource (the cultural hall) at one location. Our location has three wards in it and on Tuesday and Wednesday nights there are a lot of events and a lot of reservations. I was trying to take what was already in the lds.org/church-calendar and print something for the three wards so that they can have a hard copy of who has the cultural hall.

Because of the way the current calendar system is set up, it is kind of hard to print out who has a particular resource on which nights (when I try to print, I get a lot of extra events that are happening at the location, like this: http://screencast.com/t/ivZj3FQQgH , but only one of those events is in the cultural hall...)

I've looked at the Beta Calendar but I can't seem to view just one resource at one location either.

Has this already been discussed? Or is this a feature request? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nathangg wrote:Is there an option to view who has a particular resource at a particular location as a monthly or weekly view? I know I can use the "Subscribed Locations" checkboxes to see what events are taking place at a location, but I wanted to filter down even further to a particular resource.
Has this already been discussed? Or is this a feature request? Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, it's been discussed. See, for example, this post. But there's no way to do exactly that right now. I can think of two possible workarounds right now:
  1. What you have already done: filter by location and then drill down on each event
  2. Start to schedule an event that takes a whole month, or week, and uses just one resource (like the cultural hall in your example). Then all the conflicts will be listed and you'll know exactly which events use the cultural hall during the month you chose.
Neither solution is particularly attractive. What I'd like to see is a drill-down on the location filter to allow you to filter by a particular resource within the location.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

Thank you for your prompt reply and your previous post... I read through it (particularly the last paragraph) and yes, that is exactly the same thing I was trying to get at... Looks like I'm nearly a year behind on the idea! :-)
Neither solution is particularly attractive. What I'd like to see is a drill-down on the location filter to allow you to filter by a particular resource within the location.
Have you made that request to the right people? Can I "+1" your request or do a "me too!" (like Crashplan does) ?

Return to “Calendar”