Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination and certificate - revisted

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination and certificate - revisted

Post by kisaac »

Now that the stake CAN record Melchizedek Priesthood Ordinations in stake MLS, what processes do you use? I've read this old thread, discussing issues when only wards could record the ordination- delays, missing ordination certificates, not being recorded, etc.

We still do it this way, and still deal with those same problems. As a new stake clerk, I'm pondering why we should continue to do it the old way. The new CHI book 2, 20.7.2, explains that the stake clerk:
  • Insures the MP ordination record is complete after the ordination,
  • Distributes it according to the form, and
  • He OR a ward clerk prepares the certificate.
While it doesn't mention who updates the record via MLS....
The form that is referred to, the Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination form, as printed from MLS, (with a 2007 date) still states the old way...give it to the ward clerk for entering and transmitting the ordination, and printing the certificate.

Any reason why I shouldn't streamline the process and do it all, giving the final certificate back to the ward with their copy of the form for their records?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Any reason why I shouldn't streamline the process and do it all, giving the final certificate back to the ward with their copy of the form for their records?

Our stake has switched over to having one of our assistant stake clerks enter the MP ordination in MLS. It definitely streamlines the process, since it eliminates one complete handoff to the ward and back to the stake. The stake also prepares the certificate (and it's much easier for us to get the stake president's signature). We have fewer errors and delays this way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Our High councilor assigned to the unit is in charge of shepherding the form through all the steps. When it is complete and the ordination is done, they deliver it to the stake clerk who enters the ordination into the member record and prints the certificate. After the stake president signs it, the certificate is given to the high councilor to deliver to the member. Easy, and one person is in charge of seeing the process through from start to finish.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”