Two Units In The MLS Program

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
techgy
Community Moderators

Two Units In The MLS Program

Post by techgy »

Can someone point me to a set of instructions for adding a second unit to an existing MLS.
We have a singles branch in a nearby city that's being disbanded and moved into a YSA Ward in our stake. The bishop of the YSA group wants to maintain access to any financial records of the former branch so he can handle tithing settlement at the end of the year.

I suggested that he print a Tithing report just prior to moving out the records of the branch then do another at the end of the year. He's considering this, but is also interested in having both of the groups available in a single MLS program.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:Can someone point me to a set of instructions for adding a second unit to an existing MLS.

It's in the wiki at [url=https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Adding_additional_units_to_MLS]Adding additional units to MLS[/URL].
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Thanks. I did a search of the wiki before I posted but nothing came up. Guess my search wasn't too effective.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:Thanks. I did a search of the wiki before I posted but nothing came up. Guess my search wasn't too effective.
When I searched on the wiki for "add unit to MLS" I got a hit for that article, but it was #17. But when I did a Google search for "site:tech.lds.org/wiki add unit to mls" it was the #1 hit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:Can someone point me to a set of instructions for adding a second unit to an existing MLS.
We have a singles branch in a nearby city that's being disbanded and moved into a YSA Ward in our stake. The bishop of the YSA group wants to maintain access to any financial records of the former branch so he can handle tithing settlement at the end of the year.

Might want to talk with the stake about that. I believe it's their responsibility handle disbanded units. Just need to make sure he won't be stepping on anyone's toes in the process. Since he has a live MLS system, he might be doing something he shouldn't. I personally would be more comfortable if he just has print-out or reports - either paper or PDF. That way there's no chance of him sending something that he shouldn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Might want to talk with the stake about that. I believe it's their responsibility handle disbanded units. Just need to make sure he won't be stepping on anyone's toes in the process. Since he has a live MLS system, he might be doing something he shouldn't. I personally would be more comfortable if he just has print-out or reports - either paper or PDF. That way there's no chance of him sending something that he shouldn't.

As I understand it, the YSA Bishop has already discussed this issue with the stake leadership over the disbanded branch.
The branch members are moving in his ward. He's been offered to take the computer that the branch had together with it's records, etc. Personally, I think this would be a good way to go. Just moving the MSL database wouldn't give him access to anything else that was stored on the branch's computer.

I'll pass along your suggestion. Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If nothing else, someone has to do the year-end stuff for the discontinued unit. That's the part that needs to be coordinated so that only one entity does it - not both or neither.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”