Re-imaging systems

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
zwhitr

Re-imaging systems

Post by zwhitr »

Team Where can I get a CD/DVD with XP image on it to re-install on a computer that was reclaimed from another ward to be used in the library for instance. System has older software and would benefit from a clean install. Or in the case where the registery got corrupted. there is nothing wrong with the computer just needs to be re-imaged.

I have asked the question to GSD and FM Group before but can't get a straight answer; all I get is if it is broke just order a new one.

Rob
Stake Tech
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For the last several years, there has been no image. You'll have to use the disks that shipped with the PC.

BTW, if that PC came from a Ward upgrade, the FM group is going to want it back to make sure its disposed of properly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zwhitr wrote:Where can I get a CD/DVD with XP image on it to re-install on a computer that was reclaimed from another ward to be used in the library for instance.
As RussellHltn stated it will be difficult to find an image disk since they have not been produced/distributed since some time in 2009. This was a few months before the replacement Delll Optiplex 740 computers began to be delivered. When the image disks were no longer used the new systems came with an OEM distribution disk and sometimes with a Windows OS disk.

There are two other issues. The first is that if you did find an image disk and used it on a transferred computer the OS would not be licensed since the license is/was for administrative computer use. The second is that the Policy and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping states the computer for discontinued wards and branches are to be returned into the FM group. Replacement computers come with disposal instructions. For those that I have replaced the instructions were the same, return them to the FM group.

If by some chance that an old administrative computer would be cascaded for some other use, a new OS license and distribution disk would be provided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I had several clerk computers recently retired from service that went to our stake Family History Center, with permission from our FM group*, of course. Since they all had COA stickers on them for Windows XP Professional, all I needed to do was get a copy of an OEM XP Professional CD that was either "Dell branded", or "unbranded" (Microsoft generic) and use that to re-install Windows XP. Most of the time the keys on the COA tags would authenticate on the first try, but occasionally I would have to use the automated phone support to get them to go, but either way, it's a proper and legal way to put an operating system back on these PC's that had their hard drives wiped clean.

Send me a Private Message if you need to locate a Windows XP OEM CD.

* For those reading, this is currently not the "normal" church procedure and you might not get permission from your particular FM group to do the same thing.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:with permission from our FM group*

Yeah, that's not the norm. Back before the FM handled the computer, the rules were that you couldn't expand your FHC, but could upate it with the old computers.

The FM group might be willing to go along with that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Clerk Computers”