Missionary Alumni Websites Mission.net Is it dead?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
crees

Missionary Alumni Websites Mission.net Is it dead?

Post by crees »

I know that mission.net is not owned nor is it maintained by the Church, and I am going mostly off topic here. by posting I hope someone here can fill me in on what going on with the site???

For the past few years (literally) I have been unable login to update my profile. I have also tried numerous times to contact the admin over the mission site and mission.net. I even donated to the mission.net hoping for any assistance. As of this posting I have NOT heard back from anyone!!!...

"Writing on the wall" The main page has not been updated since 2004 and the alumni site i am registered to has had no activity for over a year. I am beginning to think that mission.net has reached the end of its existence and or no one cares to move it along?( Very unfortunate if so) So much time and resources and information gone to waste of nothing happens. Sorry for the pessimistic tone but having a hard time that no one can reply to messages. I have also found that I am not the only one with the frustration.

any thoughts?
blake28

Post by blake28 »

Thanks for all this.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

crees wrote:I know that mission.net is not owned nor is it maintained by the Church, and I am going mostly off topic here. by posting I hope someone here can fill me in on what going on with the site??? For the past few years (literally) I have been unable login to update my profile.

any thoughts?
I just successfully logged into our son's mission pages with no problem. I'm not sure as to why you are unable to make contact. Please keep in mind that the site is not under the control or any formal way related to the church itself. It is a private enterprise.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
crees

Post by crees »

techgy wrote:I just successfully logged into our son's mission pages with no problem. I'm not sure as to why you are unable to make contact. Please keep in mind that the site is not under the control or any formal way related to the church itself. It is a private enterprise.

Yes I know that its a private enterprise and I was hoping not to elude to church envolvment by starting off with my first sentence. From what I understand Mission.net is comprised of self hosted and mission.net hosted alumni sites. The site I subscribe to is hosted by mission.net servers but is maintained by a alumni admin that served in the mission. Unfortunately the admin of the site nor the mission.net staff replied to any of our requests. I was hoping someone here knew what may be going on or know of the future of mission.net and its services.

Thanks
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

We recently used mission.net to organize a reunion. I just logged in and chose to edit my profile without any problems either. Not sure what particular assistance you need, but the site appears to be working properly, for me anyway. I didn't try recovering a lost username or password, if that's what you need.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crees

Post by crees »

Hi Mike

Cut to the chase its pearly administration issues. Since the admin is unable to help I have resorted to mission.net and filled out the abandoned mission form. This and other contact methods to mission.net have not returned any responses.

The full story.....

The problem is administration with the admin over the mission site. Back in 02 I signed up and the last time I was able to update my profile was in 05. Its a simple login issue where my email is outdated (lost it when I changed ISP's) and every password I have does not work. The built in password reset method doesn't work when your email address has changed and the Admin has more or less gone AWOL. I even found the guy online via blog and Facebook and neither of those methods got me any replies.

I have also found out via Facebook some of the elders I served with also cannot get on. I am thinking since mission.net had a security breach in the login system a while ago and that they may have changed passwords. Many like myself have been caught up in a non recoverable password because of email address change and the awol admin.

Thanks for the feedback Brethren. Even though this forum is not relevant to the mission.net site and does not have any association I was hoping in a round about way word will get to someone that has a part in mission.net and I can get some help getting our alumni site back and active again.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussions”