New Win7 Computer Installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:Has anyone seen any instructions for a Win7 installation?

None that I know of. Follow the instructions for the Dell 740 as best you can.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:None that I know of. Follow the instructions for the Dell 740 as best you can.

I called the GSD and Local Unit Support and got pretty much the same answer.
I would agree that most of the instructions are similar with only a few minor tweaks.
One problem would be an older piece of software - such as MS Office - that might have to be installed/run in compatibility mode. either that or purchase the upgrade, which some wards might not wish to do. Open Office is an alternative to this one.

If anyone's already done a new install of a Win7 system and has any additional hints or things to be cautious about, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

techgy wrote:If anyone's already done a new install of a Win7 system and has any additional hints or things to be cautious about, I'd appreciate them.
Ok, I found my notes. They were not as detailed as I would like, but after poking around on the internet to refresh my memory of what the setup order and look is, I'm pretty confident this will work. I've modified the Dell 740 instructions to fit what I've had to do on Windows 7 machines and attached the pdf below.
Windows 7 Computer setup instructions.pdf
(29.93 KiB) Downloaded 2212 times
I would appreciate any corrections you could supply as you go through the setup. I have blacked out all passwords, etc. I assume you have them, though, if you have the 740 instructions.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Another issue I had was trying to get the old files off the hard drive of the old computer. I mounted the hard drive, and Windows 7 requires you to modify security settings of the files and folders before you can access them (take ownership). For that, I found this Microsoft Support page very helpful.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

techgy wrote:One problem would be an older piece of software - such as MS Office - that might have to be installed/run in compatibility mode. either that or purchase the upgrade, which some wards might not wish to do. Open Office is an alternative to this one.
There should be no problems installing any version of MS Office from 2000 and later on a Windows 7 system. Compatibility mode is not required. Just be sure to install it from a Windows 7 administrator account and not a power user account. The only application in the MS Office suite that has compatibility issues with Windows 7 is MS Outlook. This website notes that Outlook 2007 works fine but 2003 has issues. But this would not be an issue since administrative computers should not be for personal use and I haven't heard of units setting up e-mail accounts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jdlessley wrote:There should be no problems installing any version of MS Office from 2000 and later on a Windows 7 system. Compatibility mode is not required. Just be sure to install it from a Windows 7 administrator account and not a power user account. The only application in the MS Office suite that has compatibility issues with Windows 7 is MS Outlook. This website notes that Outlook 2007 works fine but 2003 has issues. But this would not be an issue since administrative computers should not be for personal use and I haven't heard of units setting up e-mail accounts.
This is indeed good news. As of yet, I haven't had any experience with Win7, so I was taking the safe road...
crislapi wrote:Another issue I had was trying to get the old files off the hard drive of the old computer. I mounted the hard drive, and Windows 7 requires you to modify security settings of the files and folders before you can access them (take ownership). For that, I found this Microsoft Support page very helpful.
crislapi wrote:Ok, I found my notes. They were not as detailed as I would like, but after poking around on the internet to refresh my memory of what the setup order and look is, I'm pretty confident this will work. I've modified the Dell 740 instructions to fit what I've had to do on Windows 7 machines and attached the pdf below.

I would appreciate any corrections you could supply as you go through the setup. I have blacked out all passwords, etc. I assume you have them, though, if you have the 740 instructions.
Thanks for the effort. I'll make a note of your comments and get back in a couple of weeks after we've done the installs.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

We had decided to setup one of the new Win7 boxes recently given to one ward in our stake.
The configuration would only be up to the point where MLS was installed. We would then wait until following our upcoming stake conference to make the switch.

So this morning I opened one of the boxes connected all the cables and turned on the power.
I had been told that the OS was already installed and the first questions would relate to a time zone.

Well, the first screen I saw gave me three choices. One was to exit to a command prompt, another choice was to continue and there was also a place to select the time zone. Not exactly what I had expected but I set the time then chose continue.

The next screen was the real attention getter. I was now being asked to choose what department within the church that this computer would be used ! There was an entire page of choices. I'd have to guess that almost every department possible was there. None of the choices were anywhere close to what a Unit would be so I chose the last one which said "Unknown".

I don't recall the contents of the next page but it too didn't make any sense. I felt that I was going down the wrong path so I canceled out and was taken to a command prompt. I then rebooted and was immediately given an error screen that said that a hardware or software change had occurred and that Windows could not continue. It was asking for the Win7 Installation Disk which we had not been given with these computers.

I don't know if any of the other computers delivered to other wards is in the same condition as this one, but it appears that I'm stuck until I obtain a Win7 installation disk, blow everything away and begin again. Our FM manager is unfamiliar with this type of situation so I'll be contacting SLC on Monday for help.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Suggestions?

Tnx
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:The next screen was the real attention getter. I was now being asked to choose what department within the church that this computer would be used ! There was an entire page of choices. I'd have to guess that almost every department possible was there. None of the choices were anywhere close to what a Unit would be so I chose the last one which said "Unknown".

Wow. Either the FM group gave you a computer that was intended for internal use, or the church is up to something new. I just put two computers in last month (although I suspect they had been sitting at the FM Group's office for a bit) and just saw vanilla Win7 startup/install. And yes, they did ship with disks.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Wow. Either the FM group gave you a computer that was intended for internal use, or the church is up to something new. I just put two computers in last month (although I suspect they had been sitting at the FM Group's office for a bit) and just saw vanilla Win7 startup/install. And yes, they did ship with disks.

My thoughts exactly. The shipment all arrived at once to the FM group from Dell. I suspect that the entire shipment is this way, but I don't know yet.
We're doing another ward in the building in about an hour and I'll see if it's the same way.

BTW, the only disks I got was one for as Roxio device and another for another application which I didn't recognize. No Win7 disk - recovery or otherwise was seen.
Oh yes, we also had a drivers disk for the monitor.

Edit: We have booted a second new Win7 box from another ward and obtained the same result. Since all of these came in the same shipment it's my strong opinion that they should have never been sent to us.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Wow. Either the FM group gave you a computer that was intended for internal use, or the church is up to something new. I just put two computers in last month (although I suspect they had been sitting at the FM Group's office for a bit) and just saw vanilla Win7 startup/install. And yes, they did ship with disks.

The mystery has been partially solved. After talking on the phone with LUS this morning they agreed that the PC's had been imaged incorrectly. I offered to re-image them instead of returning them to Dell, so they're planning on sending a set of disks.

I was talking to our local FM manager this morning and he said - after a few chuckles - that the line items on the order form for an FM or MLS computer are apparently close together and that it was possible that he had checked the wrong box and ordered 11 computers for his FM group. If so, he said he was puzzled as to why the Finance department wouldn't have questioned it. Oh well....

Return to “Clerk Computers”