Voided Non-check expense

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
allenjpl

Voided Non-check expense

Post by allenjpl »

Last night, I went into MLS to change the category of Deseret Bookstore expense that hit against our Other:AMFA category. I accidentally voided it instead because I wasn't paying attention to the input screen, and because a similar screen pops up requesting information when you try to void or change a category. Oops. Now I need to fix it. Note: This was not a check, it was an electronic debit against the category initiated by CHQ.

Should I try to create a non-check expense now (out of the right category), or just shoot a message to LUS? Can you even create a non-check expense anymore? I can't remember off the top of my head if the option is still there or not, because I haven't had to use it since the CUBS changeover.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

allenjpl wrote:Last night, I went into MLS to change the category of Deseret Bookstore expense that hit against our Other:AMFA category. I accidentally voided it instead because I wasn't paying attention to the input screen, and because a similar screen pops up requesting information when you try to void or change a category. Oops. Now I need to fix it. Note: This was not a check, it was an electronic debit against the category initiated by CHQ.

Should I try to create a non-check expense now (out of the right category), or just shoot a message to LUS? Can you even create a non-check expense anymore? I can't remember off the top of my head if the option is still there or not, because I haven't had to use it since the CUBS changeover.
I would send a message to LUS. In a couple of send/receives it may just show up again because your unit was not the source of the charge. I would also expect to receive an MLS message telling you that you should not delete IROP charges - this of course should be unrelated to any message you send to LUS.

Keep us updated as to what actually happens. It will be interesting to find out.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

allenjpl wrote:Should I try to create a non-check expense now (out of the right category), or just shoot a message to LUS? Can you even create a non-check expense anymore? I can't remember off the top of my head if the option is still there or not, because I haven't had to use it since the CUBS changeover.
There is no longer a way in MLS for you to enter a non-check expense. With the changes that came through CUBS, any of these types of expenses are posted automatically. The only way to fix this is to involve LUS or restore from a backup made prior to voiding the expense. However, if you restore, you will lose everything that was entered in MLS since the backup was made and will have to reenter it. If you already transmitted after voiding the expense, you have sent that void on to the church's finance system and will have to involve LUS to get it undone there as well.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”