indexing gospel library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
rmero

indexing gospel library

Post by rmero »

how do i index the gospel library for andriod (samsung galaxy tab)?
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

You first need to set up your indexing options in Menu / More / Settings. Once you have that set, download at least one item and the app should then index your content according to the options you selected.
Jason Hyer
froghunter

Post by froghunter »

Any suggestions on how to make sure the indexing is actually happening? I've set it to index under pretty much any circumstances (battery above 20%, index anytime). When I attempt a search, it tells me that indexing still isn't complete, and then force quits. It's been a couple of months, I believe. This is on an Evo 3D; not the fastest phone on earth, but it should be adequate.
BrumfieldAD

Post by BrumfieldAD »

@foghunter it sounds like you may be closing the app after enabling indexing. If you turn on indexing and leave app open while your phone is charging overnight it should be finished well before the morning. The Evo 3D in particular should index fairly quickly as it is currently one of the fastest phones available.
froghunter

Post by froghunter »

BrumfieldAD wrote:@foghunter it sounds like you may be closing the app after enabling indexing. If you turn on indexing and leave app open while your phone is charging overnight it should be finished well before the morning. The Evo 3D in particular should index fairly quickly as it is currently one of the fastest phones available.

That could be right. There's a element in the indexing settings that I might have misinterpreted-- something like "index while device is in use". I took that to mean that it would continue indexing even while I do something outside the app; I was inadvertently shutting down the process, apparently. I'll do as suggested and just let it chew overnight, and some today at my desk.

A couple of questions:

1) Is there any way to verify that it has finished besides that the message stops appearing when I try to search?
2) Should I expect the force quit to go away, or is that just completely off-the-wall, requiring other help?
3) What's a ballpark amount of time to complete indexing for, say, everything in the "scriptures" category?

Hmm... a thought... I'd bet that a lot of users immediately just "download all" from the Scriptures category as soon as they install this. I wonder if it would be possible to keep indices for each element of Scriptures (or one for all of it, for that matter) pre-indexed and downloadable to spare a little processing time on the mobile device.
froghunter

Post by froghunter »

Arrg! This is annoying. I figured maybe I just downloaded too much, so I uninstalled, reinstalled, and got just the "scriptures" category. It's a fair amount of data, but I left my phone to chew on it all night. I still got the message that the content was not indexed this morning.

So, I uninstalled again and verified that the program directory was deleted. I reinstalled and downloaded just the JST, a 34K dataset. I'm obviously no expert, but that seems like it should index very quickly. I have the following indexing settings:

Enable Indexing -- checked
Index Anytime -- checked
Power Level -- Above 20%

Then, I put the phone in its dock (with GL active and the phone's dock mode disabled) and waited. I still get the message... the evil, evil message. What in the world could be going on? Surely it can't take any significant amount of time to index the JST. Is it possible that it's actually indexed, but that the message hasn't gone away as it should? That whatever bit that needed to be flipped to indicate completion hasn't flipped?
BrumfieldAD

Post by BrumfieldAD »

@foghunter thanks for following up. I was able to try this on an EVO 3D today.

You can see that indexing is happening if you open up the Download Status dialog (Menu -> More -> Download Status).

Indexing took longer than I would normally expect for such a fast device, but it did complete.

It looks like we may have a bug with the warning message showing in search after indexing is finished. To see if indexing is working you can search for a common term such as "Jesus Christ" without the quotes and you should see results. I've opened a new bug to track this bug (https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/MSA-305).
froghunter

Post by froghunter »

BrumfieldAD, thanks for the reply, the research and the bug notice. I've observed how my phone has reacted; my observations are consistent with what you've pointed out. I installed the rest of the "Scriptures" category and actually got the indexing notification. It vanished after a while, so I pressed my luck and installed "For the Strength of Youth", its principle value in this situation being its shortness. Indexing occurred for a minute or so and then went away. After that I was able to search just within FSY. So, to my naive troubleshooting, the problem appears to be simply that the notification message never got the memo that it can stop appearing. Besides temporarily obscuring the virtual keyboard, there's no functionality problem. I'll wait for an update.

Please let me know if there's information I can collect from my phone for you. Again, thanks for the help.
omni2005

Gospel Library App constantly running?

Post by omni2005 »

I recently got the Galaxy S2 and downloaded the Gospel Library app and it works great but for the last couple days it has been draining my battery all day long. Even on days that I don't open the app at all I look under battery usage and it uses nearly as much battery as the Android OS itself. I had it set to index only while it was charging and I changed it to never index but that didn't work. Pushing Force Stop didn't make a difference either. I have changed as many settings as I could think of but it still seems to be using up battery constantly for some reason. Any ideas?
SNRote

Post by SNRote »

That app does drain phone batteries. I found when I changed it to never index it made a big difference. Is it possible to find or make a cell battery with the juice of a laptop battery? LOL. Good luck omni2005. I hope you get it figured out.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”