mormon.org Profile Count

Discussions about other Church websites
nathantanner

mormon.org Profile Count

Post by nathantanner »

Anyone know if there is a way to get a list or count of members in a Ward that have set up their mormon.org Profile? I know the profile is tied to a membership record number, so the data should be available (ie. it should exist). Thoughts?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I can see why unit and stake leaders may want this data. But it is too much like big brother in my opinion.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nathantanner

Post by nathantanner »

Perhaps, but once a member publishes their profile on mormon.org it is already available to the general public. mormon.org lets you search for a specific person by name, so it is feasible/possible to get this information by searching each member's name and finding their profile - a data export or including this information in lds.org Clerk Resources would simply make this less tedious and more accurate.

We actually have our area authority that is asking local leaders to collect and submit this information to him - my first impulse was to question why he doesn't just ask Salt Lake for the data :)
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

I had this same request and spoke to Salt Lake about it a few months ago. They mentioned that a future release, perhaps as soon as this month will link a members profile with their city in the LDS account so you can search on city at mormon.org and more easily identify folks in your ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nathantanner wrote:Perhaps, but once a member publishes their profile on mormon.org it is already available to the general public.
I am not thinking of those who contribute but those who do not. I can see where those who do not, for what ever reason, then are marked or put on a list for ...
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nathantanner wrote:We actually have our area authority that is asking local leaders to collect and submit this information to him - my first impulse was to question why he doesn't just ask Salt Lake for the data :)
If all he needs is a number count and not a list by name then that would be better served by contacting those in Salt Lake with access to the data. Local leaders do not have access to that information without conducting a poll. I don't see how that poll could be conducted and maintain the privacy of individuals. There are those who do not want to go public with their Church membership. We have to be sensitive to their situation.
JD Lessley
nathantanner

Post by nathantanner »

pwilson wrote:I had this same request and spoke to Salt Lake about it a few months ago. They mentioned that a future release, perhaps as soon as this month will link a members profile with their city in the LDS account so you can search on city at mormon.org and more easily identify folks in your ward.

Thanks, that would definitely make it easier once there are more profiles online. I did run a search of each adult name in my ward and very few came back with any results whatsoever, so for now it was pretty easy to see that not a single adult in my ward has created a profile (none that are public/searchable in any case).
nathantanner

Post by nathantanner »

jdlessley wrote:If all he needs is a number count and not a list by name then that would be better served by contacting those in Salt Lake with access to the data. Local leaders do not have access to that information without conducting a poll. I don't see how that poll could be conducted and maintain the privacy of individuals. There are those who do not want to go public with their Church membership. We have to be sensitive to their situation.

Again, whether a member has a mormon.org profile or not is publicly-available information. Either you can find someone's profile or you cannot. The ease of obtaining this information is really the only concern I have.

But yes, all that we are being asked for from the Area Authority is a count of members in the Stake that have set up a profile.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I heard that there overall were somewhere around (or by now over) 30,000 profiles on mormon.org, that was in June. So if you have by ward about 15,000 English-speaking units, and that number could be less, you probably have on average only about two or three members per unit on the site now. In some units probably no one is on, while in others there may be quite a few.

Return to “Other Websites”