wireless aironet 1200

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
farwest

wireless aironet 1200

Post by farwest »

well referring to my earlier post (wireless questions) we got a linksys se1500 5 port ethernet switch. Hooked it up and was able to plug the two wireless radio's up which are cisco aironet 1200's. One fired up but the other one would never show power to it so I'm not sure if the power supply is bad. I have a aironet 1250 series power injector and I was wondering if it can be used with the aironet 1200. We have a cisco pix 501 firewall and I was thinking maybe we should replace it with a updated one that has the wireless already on it. Thanks
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

farwest wrote:well referring to my earlier post (wireless questions) we got a linksys se1500 5 port ethernet switch. Hooked it up and was able to plug the two wireless radio's up which are cisco aironet 1200's. One fired up but the other one would never show power to it so I'm not sure if the power supply is bad.
If by power supply you mean power injector, did you try swapping the injectors to verify?
farwest wrote:I have a aironet 1250 series power injector and I was wondering if it can be used with the aironet 1200.
The information provided by Cisco hereindicates the 1250 series WAP power injector, model AIR-PWRINJ4, is not compatible with the 1200 series WAP since the 1200 series WAP with 802.11g radios needs 6.2 watts and the PWRINJ4 provides 12.95 or 16.5 watts depending on the radios installed. Table 2 on the Cisco page has the part numbers to order the injector. I did this in July 2008 and was able to find a used injector part number AIR-PWRINJ3 for $18.41 at CablesAndKits.com (This is not a promotion - just one source of many available). I just checked their site and they have new ones for $44.95 and used ones for $12.95.
farwest wrote:We have a cisco pix 501 firewall and I was thinking maybe we should replace it with a updated one that has the wireless already on it.
You can try. Your FM Group will have to order it. But they may not replace it unless the PIX has failed or there other technical issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
farwest

Post by farwest »

referring to the power injector there were two that are set up for two 1200 cisco's. they slide on top of each other with each having it own power supply. one of the injectors doesn't show a power on light on it but the other does and global services show the one with power to it working. I swapped the power supplies but it still doesn't show a power led light on it. So I am assuming the power supply or the power injector is bad. Also global services said I couldn't mix different cisco wireless radio's. So what are your thoughts on replacing the firewall with a new one with wireless on it?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

farwest wrote:referring to the power injector there were two that are set up for two 1200 cisco's. they slide on top of each other with each having it own power supply. one of the injectors doesn't show a power on light on it but the other does and global services show the one with power to it working. I swapped the power supplies but it still doesn't show a power led light on it. So I am assuming the power supply or the power injector is bad.
Further testing can determine whether the power supply, the injector, or both are bad. The power supply can also be replaced from the same website I previously mentioned for $12.95.
farwest wrote:Also global services said I couldn't mix different cisco wireless radio's.
I don't know what they are referring to here. The Cisco Aironet 1200 series WAP configured with a 802.11g radio is compatible on the same network as the Cisco 881W Integrated Service Router. The 881W radio is both -g and -n while the Aironet is -g only. The wiki article "Meetinghouse wireless networking - Older 802.11 solutions" cautions against mixing 881W and 1041N wireless with other wireless solutions. But if you do not have the 1041N then I do not see any real technical issues in mixing the 881W with the Aironet WAPs.
farwest wrote:So what are your thoughts on replacing the firewall with a new one with wireless on it?
I never really liked the limitations and problems I encountered with the PIX. If I could get the FM Group to get an 881W I would do that. But be prepared for resistance if the PIX is working and has no problems.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

After testing, and validating what the actual issue is, call the GSD to see your next move, I wouldn't spend budget money until you've seen if the GSD will replace it.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

jdlessley wrote:
I never really liked the limitations and problems I encountered with the PIX. If I could get the FM Group to get an 881W I would do that. But be prepared for resistance if the PIX is working and has no problems.
Unless you are like me where in the last 2 months, 2 of my PIX have gone south. Then in a third building a FHC user is having trouble with one site and according to the FHC help desk that it is a firewall issue. Since, I also lost an AC to DC convert for the Aironet 1200 for the 2nd time in a few years that I decided that it was time to change them all out. My FM group has been supportive this.

This brings me to my point, my stake center also has a PIX and since I have lost 2 and third one is questionable, I decided to replace the one at my stake center before that one goes, which is the most important since that is the one that I do my webcasting from. My FM group has been supportive and we are being proactive to keep our networks up and running.
farwest

Post by farwest »

tested power supply it was bad. finally found other Aironet 1200 which was in the stake clerks office above ceiling. So I have 2 Aironet 1200's both on west side of building one on north end other on south end in the stake addition. So when FM sends new power supply I'll see what kind of coverage we have. I would like to do what harddrive has said and change it all out and put new stuff in. Also what kind of signal strength do you need showing on inSSIDer to have things work good?
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

farwest wrote:tested power supply it was bad. finally found other Aironet 1200 which was in the stake clerks office above ceiling. So I have 2 Aironet 1200's both on west side of building one on north end other on south end in the stake addition. So when FM sends new power supply I'll see what kind of coverage we have. I would like to do what harddrive has said and change it all out and put new stuff in. Also what kind of signal strength do you need showing on inSSIDer to have things work good?

farwest, what power supply is the FM group sending you? The reason that I ask is that the Aironet 1200's uses Cisco proprietary Power over Ethernet (POE) technology and the new power injector may not be compatible with it. I have a new injector, but I haven't tried it yet. If the new injectors can't do the proprietary POE, then they will not work. This is the reason that I'm getting ride of the 1200 series in favor of the 1041n. I can use a switch that has POE built into it and power these devices and not have to worry about power injectors, extra cable, power supplies and so forth. It will make the cabinet much cleaner.

So if this is the case then you may not be able to power up the 1200 and to keep wireless coverage in the building, then you will need to upgrade to the 1041n.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”