Stake membership records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
petersboro

Stake membership records

Post by petersboro »

Those callings changes that are made at the ward level should also be updated for me at the stake level. Why is it that this takes months to happen? I have gone to the wards to verify that the updates are being made but there are many changes that take months to be updated at the stake. I am District Clerk at a military district in Okinawa Japan.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

petersboro wrote:Those callings changes that are made at the ward level should also be updated for me at the stake level. Why is it that this takes months to happen? I have gone to the wards to verify that the updates are being made but there are many changes that take months to be updated at the stake. I am District Clerk at a military district in Okinawa Japan.
First of all, to clarify, I'm guessing that you are talking about MLS. It's important to be clear what you are talking about, because you could also be talking about CDOL or handheld applications.

But assuming you mean MLS, you need to understand that all this data is transmitted via CDOL. So the first thing to check is what each ward's calling information looks like in CDOL. I know stake clerks have permissions to see each ward's calling data on CDOL, and I assume the same is true for district clerks.

If the calling information doesn't appear for each ward in CDOL, then there are two possibilities:
  1. The wards are not entering the information in MLS.
  2. If they are entering the information in MLS, then somehow the information is not getting from MLS to CDOL.
If the information is in CDOL, but is not in your district's MLS, then you need to check to see if the CDOL callings are entered properly as standard callings (displayed in black text). The callings will be in orange text if they are custom callings, and custom ward callings will not be transmitted back to stake MLS. If that is the case, talk to the ward clerks and have them fix the callings to be standard callings in their MLS.

Finally, if the ward callings are properly in CDOL but are still not coming down to your district's MLS, then that is a problem with your district's MLS and its interface with CDOL; that would require a call to your support office.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
petersboro

Post by petersboro »

Thank you for your response and for the detailed information. I finally have a chance to revisit this problem.
I checked the record at the branch and it has been entered. I checked the CDOL and it is not there as either a standard or a custom calling. Could there be some other reason it is not making it to the CDOL?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest you "toggle" something about the calling in the ward MLS. The easiest is the date sustained. Then do a send/receive. That should trigger a update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
petersboro

Post by petersboro »

Well, I checked at the branch and it was entered as a standard calling (displayed in black text). I removed the calling and re-entered it, then sent the changes and that didn't help. I checked the CDOL and it hasn't updated either. Any other ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

petersboro wrote:Well, I checked at the branch and it was entered as a standard calling (displayed in black text). I removed the calling and re-entered it, then sent the changes and that didn't help. I checked the CDOL and it hasn't updated either. Any other ideas?
I think there's a bit of confusion. The visual feedback of using black text to indicate that a calling is a standard calling is something you see in CDOL. That's something you can check online at any time. So if you say you were seeing the calling displayed in black text, then that means you were looking in CDOL at the branch's information. But then you later say that you checked CDOL and it hasn't updated. That makes no sense to me.

Is the calling really in CDOL with black text in the branch's area?

Here are the steps:
  1. The calling is entered in the branch MLS. If a standard calling is desired, make sure that as it is selected it has a yellow star by it. To verify after the fact that it is a standard calling, use the Custom Positions Review tool under Organizations (it shouldn't appear there).
  2. About 15-30 minutes after the branch does a Send/Receive the calling should appear in CDOL under the branch's unit. If the calling is a standard calling, it will be in black text; if it is a custom calling, it will be in orange text.
  3. After the next Send/Receive done in District MLS, you should be able to see the calling appear under Ward Leadership, but only if it is the correct standard calling for one of the specific callings that are viewable in Stake/District MLS, which includes bishoprics/branch presidencies and main quorum and auxiliary presidencies.
Let us know at which step the process is failing for you.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”