Tithing refund

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mtphillips

Tithing refund

Post by mtphillips »

A member of our ward and his wife both mistakenly wrote tithing checks on the same Sunday so they paid double. Both checks have cleared the bank and now they don't have the funds they need to meet their monthly obligations. Is it possible to refund a tithing donation that was made by mistake?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I don't know if it's possible. Maybe Central Office (I don't know where you live and how you pay thiting).
But you can give a check from Fast Offering and next mounth they can pay them back to the same account (thiting is already paid!).
This must do with Stake President approval!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mtphillips wrote:A member of our ward and his wife both mistakenly wrote tithing checks on the same Sunday so they paid double. Both checks have cleared the bank and now they don't have the funds they need to meet their monthly obligations. Is it possible to refund a tithing donation that was made by mistake?
In general, donations are not refundable. In this case, since it was an error, I suppose it might be possible, but you would definitely need to talk to Local Unit Support for approval and instructions as to how it could be done.
marianomarini wrote:But you can give a check from Fast Offering and next mounth they can pay them back to the same account (thiting is already paid!).

I would be wary of any attempts to "lend" them money from the ward's Fast Offering (or any other) account -- the instructions on Fast Offerings specifically say that FO payments are not to be repaid (although a FO recipient may later choose to make generous donations, there is not to be any direct correspondence to the aid given).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mtphillips wrote:A member of our ward and his wife both mistakenly wrote tithing checks on the same Sunday so they paid double. Both checks have cleared the bank and now they don't have the funds they need to meet their monthly obligations. Is it possible to refund a tithing donation that was made by mistake?

Because an error was made, it is possible. But the process is lengthy, is handled by Church Headquarters, and probably would not be completed before they would normally pay tithing again.

I think their best approach would be to consider their next tithing contribution already made, and to speak with their bishop concerning how to handle things for this month.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

As tithing settlement is an annual affair - it makes little difference when the tithing is paid. The problem is their shortfall during this month. Even though it seems like an easy way to give FO assistance and then have them pay it back - I'm not too comfortable with that.

Ultimately - if there is a need, irrespective of the reasons behind it, then no strings FO assistance is the way to go.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I understand your concern about it. But it seem that a family is in needs, so FO are appropriate.
I don't think is a good thing give to member the impression that the Church is quick to get money but indifferent to member's needs.
I don'y think either that Jesus would have no problem to solve this situation!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

marianomarini wrote:I understand your concern about it. But it seem that a family is in needs, so FO are appropriate.

As long as any assistance that is given is given according to the instructions in the Handbook, the bishop has several options to help this family. And if he has any questions, his stake president will also be able to provide valuable guidance and resources.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini wrote:I understand your concern about it. But it seem that a family is in needs, so FO are appropriate.

No one has said that the family's needs should be disregarded. I think everyone would agree that the bishop should care for families in need.

The concern I raised was simply about treating fast offering funds like a loan. If the family is in need, the bishop can help them. Such assistance is freely given, and is not "paid back."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

I just thought of a solution.
Say a member makes a donation in error, a refund can not be made but the category can be changed. Say a family contributed 25 months for a missionary, so he has a positive balance when he comes home. They can decide to move that to tithing or fast offerings or to another missionary (we had that happen a lot).
So if the family does not feel comfortable getting fast offering help then one of the donations can be changed to fast offerings and then the church helps with with fast offereings check.
This can be done at anytime, I remember at tithing settlement we entered a tithing amount as fast offerings for a member six months back. Made the corrections, did a send recieve printed out the corrections and place the printouts with that batch for the aduit.
So if the family does not feel they want to 'waste' fast offereings this can be a useable work around.

Just a thought.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Here's another thought. Create an "other" category as you would for pass-through funds (like money for Young Women Camp or a special Relief Society quilt project). Change the donation from tithing to this pass-through category. Then write a check back to the family. Presto! Done. The "donation" would never be considered charitable. On paper, it would be as if there was a special project and the "excess" funds for that project were refunded AND the special category's balance went back to zero.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”