Senior Missionary Couples

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
TinMan

Senior Missionary Couples

Post by TinMan »

With the new guidelines and the maximum (or is it uniform?) housing costs for senior couples, and housing now being paid by the Church, are the Senior missionary couples going to start sending a check to the home ward similar to what is done for the young missionaries? That is, will it start to come out of my Ward Mission account?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:With the new guidelines and the maximum (or is it uniform?) housing costs for senior couples, and housing now being paid by the Church, are the Senior missionary couples going to start sending a check to the home ward similar to what is done for the young missionaries? That is, will it start to come out of my Ward Mission account?
The new guidelines didn't change very much in the way of financing. The housing cost maximum is simply an upper limit -- it is not a uniform amount. Senior couples still pay for their costs directly. An overview of the way senior couples pay for missions is at the beginning of the Senior Missionary Opportunities Bulletin.

Expenses for senior missionaries are never deducted automatically from the Ward Missionary account, but there is a provision for senior couples in financial need; see the wiki section on Support for missionary couples in need.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Okay.

So when the letter we received says this:

Effective September 1, 2011, a cap of US$1,400 per month will be established for housing
costs. Missions, temples, or area administration offices will pay all housing costs (including rent,
utilities, and furnishings). Missionary couples will reimburse those housing costs up to the cap.

How does the couple reimburse those costs? Do they pay the mission? That seems to be different that what you said when you said they pay the costs directly. Directly to whom?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:How does the couple reimburse those costs? Do they pay the mission? That seems to be different that what you said when you said they pay the costs directly. Directly to whom?

They pay the mission/temple/area -- whoever paid the costs. When I said "directly" I meant that it does not go through their home ward in any way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Thanks. I will get the correct info to my couple that is leaving for their mission next week.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”