printing multiple checks in reverse order?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
unixguy

printing multiple checks in reverse order?

Post by unixguy »

I've only done this a couple of times myself, but it's an easy thing to forget or to not think about the first time:

Our printer requires that blank checks be placed into the paper tray face down. Unfortunately this means that when multiple checks are being printed you can't just take 5 checks out of the box and place them directly into the paper tray-- you have to reverse the order of the checks which means that they're all face down, but the lowest numbered check is on the top of the stack.

I can think of a few solutions:
1) Extra training, or require that each check be hand fed into the printer. (Not something that most somewhat technical people are going to think of when they're trying to print multiple checks.)
2) Somehow get the box of checks ordered in such a way that they're already face down, but with the lowest numbered checks on top.
3) Have MLS print checks in reverse order (should probably be a "system option")
4) Become finance nazi and hide all the checks.

My personal preference is 3, 2, 1, 4.

How have other clerks dealt with this?
fraserredmond

printing checks? that'd be nice!

Post by fraserredmond »

You probably won't get much sympathy from those of us overseas who still have to write out each check by hand :p
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

We've always just done ours one at a time. Because of that, I don't even know if our printer has the same issue or not. We stick one check in. We print it. Did it come out right? Yes, move on to the next one.
opee

Post by opee »

dwterry wrote:We've always just done ours one at a time. Because of that, I don't even know if our printer has the same issue or not. We stick one check in. We print it. Did it come out right? Yes, move on to the next one.

I agree that this is the safest way, although it may be a little slower. It allows you to stop if a mistake was made and saves time since you don't have to fix the mistake that you made by trying to get done faster...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:I agree that this is the safest way, although it may be a little slower. It allows you to stop if a mistake was made and saves time since you don't have to fix the mistake that you made by trying to get done faster...
Sounds like a classic case of "Go Slow to Go Fast". ;)
unixguy

Post by unixguy »

Boy, you guys are no fun. :)

Redzarf, you definitely have my condolences. I was the financial clerk for about 2-3 months before we switched to MLS, and the amount of time I had to spend on reconciling and balancing stuff dropped tremendously. I went from needing to spend 2 hours/month to about 10-15 minutes. (As long as I don't have problems with how checks are printed!)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”