Travel to Bank

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Travel to Bank

Post by mlh78 »

I am curious as to others' interpretations of HB I section 14.6.3 as it relates to traveling to the bank. Specifically, is it necessary for the Bishopric member and the other priesthood holder to travel in the same car?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:I am curious as to others' interpretations of HB I section 14.6.3 as it relates to traveling to the bank. Specifically, is it necessary for the Bishopric member and the other priesthood holder to travel in the same car?
I've always interpreted the phrase "accompanied by" as being in the same car. As I try to think about the protections offered by this procedure, it seems that most of them would be diminished or completely eliminated if you are in separate cars.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

That's been the interpretation in my ward. Unless you plan to count everything at the bank again, staying with each other the while time, including during the trip to the bank, is the only way that both people can confirm the bag hasn't been tampered with.
dnebeker

An alternative

Post by dnebeker »

Our stake has recommended using separate vehicles but remaining in visual contact at all times. The idea, as explained to me, is that if someone was lying in wait to rob us one could call the police from their cell phone at a safe distance.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

We drive to the bank in separate vehicles. The deposit envelopes are security envelopes. While access to the contents of the envelope is possible, it is not undetectable. We both witness the deposit and verify that it did not get stuck in the box.

allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

dnebeker wrote:Our stake has recommended using separate vehicles but remaining in visual contact at all times. The idea, as explained to me, is that if someone was lying in wait to rob us one could call the police from their cell phone at a safe distance.
How do you decide who gets to be the "bait" each week? :D Do you take turns, or flip a double-headed coin?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I've found that the two people going to the bank rule is not only a security and accountability thing but is really a reminder thing. There have been a few times when the Bishopric member I have been with, who was carrying the deposit, has told me that if I had not been there he would have forgotten to go to the bank and instead go home to spend the remaining Sunday hours with his family.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

allenjpl wrote:How do you decide who gets to be the "bait" each week? :D Do you take turns, or flip a double-headed coin?

Once the deposit is sealed it remains in the possession of the bishopric member. This seems correct given that only members of the Bishopric are authorized to accept tithing; why would we hangle/treat it differently after it has been recorded?

nbflint

Post by nbflint »

wrigjef wrote:I've found that the two people going to the bank rule is not only a security and accountability thing but is really a reminder thing. There have been a few times when the Bishopric member I have been with, who was carrying the deposit, has told me that if I had not been there he would have forgotten to go to the bank and instead go home to spend the remaining Sunday hours with his family.
I'm usually the lead car. When I forget my bishopric member keeps following me until I look behind me and wonder why he's following me. Then I turn around and we laugh about it.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Our stake has authorized both methods, depending on need. Several years ago, our Fin Clerk lived close to the bank, about 15 miles South of the Ward building while most of the Bishopric lived close to the Ward Building. They would take separate cars so each could drive straight home following the deposit rather than make the clerk spend another 30 minutes driving North to pick up his vehicle to drive back South.

Now our ward doesn't cover that area so we usually go together. The rule for separate cars that they had to always be within sight so if one made it through a stoplight, they had to pull over and wait for the other to catch up.

Another method that has worked is to both drive to a good, safe place to drop one vehicle, then carpool to the bank and back, for one person to get their car and head home.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”