wireless questions

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
farwest

wireless questions

Post by farwest »

We want to get the wireless up and working in our building. We was a ward building then they made us a stake center and added a family history addition
DSC_0612.jpg
(40.46 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
DSC_0611.jpg
(59.19 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
DSC_0613.jpg
(40.98 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
DSC_0617.jpg
(65.05 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
DSC_0616.jpg
(24.85 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
to it. The person has move that help with the initial install on the ward building. I was told they disconnected the cisco aironet 1200 because they stole a line to run to the family history center. What would be the best way to get this up and running? Can we use the aironet 1200? They have put a wireless router in the family history that looks like a home unit that only reaches to the high council room and weak at the RS and gospel doctrine room. What would be the best options?

we have a cisco pox 501 firewall in library
a baseline switch 3 com in the family history center
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

farwest wrote:We want to get the wireless up and working in our building. ... I was told they disconnected the cisco aironet 1200 because they stole a line to run to the family history center. What would be the best way to get this up and running? Can we use the aironet 1200? They have put a wireless router in the family history that looks like a home unit that only reaches to the high council room and weak at the RS and gospel doctrine room. What would be the best options?
It sounds to me that what is needed is a switch connected to the PIX to increase the number of ports for additional hardware clients. That switch should be located near the PIX. A four port switch would give you a total of seven available ports instead of just four that you currently have with just the PIX.

Just be advised that the Cisco 501 PIX is configured to only provide access to ten (10) clients. There is a chance that this would be exceeded with the family history center computers, FHC WAP, the two Cisco WAPs, and the administrative computers on the network. You can have that changed by calling the GSC (GSD) and have them increase the number of clients to a larger number more appropriate for the number of clients on your network.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Just be advised that the Cisco 501 PIX is configured to only provide access to ten (10) clients.

That is the default, but it may have been increased in the past. It's worth a call to GSD to find out what it is now.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RussellHltn wrote:That is the default, but it may have been increased in the past. It's worth a call to GSD to find out what it is now.

That used to be the case, however, earlier this year I tried to get more licences for our PIX 501 with negative results. All the surplus licence updates went long ago, I was told and I tried really really hard. :D

The only route to get more licences, is to replace the Firewall. That of course is now the Cisco 881W. I've been waiting, since the beginning of the year, for a replacement. We in Europe have been held up as the Cisco's didn't fully comply with European specifications and are being modified to comply.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”