Export from maps.lds.org to Google Earth .kml files - Emergency Preparedness

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
fishmister

Export from maps.lds.org to Google Earth .kml files - Emergency Preparedness

Post by fishmister »

Since there is no resource to allow creating custom maps it would be nice to have the option to export the ward map info like you can today at maps.lds.org but with the added .kml format. This would allow each unit to import their members households into Google Earth and create custom maps.

Since this feature isn't there today I have written a program to take it from .csv to .kml.

We are using it for emergency preparedness districts overlaid with different colored polygons to indicate each districts boundaries.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

This topic and variations of it have been discussed in great detail here previously. In the end, the result is the same - it is against church policy to upload membership data to third-party servers like google earth's. Those who have created programs to achieve similar tasks have been asked by CHQ to remove them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:This topic and variations of it have been discussed in great detail here previously. In the end, the result is the same - it is against church policy to upload membership data to third-party servers like google earth's. Those who have created programs to achieve similar tasks have been asked by CHQ to remove them.
But Google Earth is a desktop application, and local KML files can be opened in Google Earth without uploading any membership data to third-party servers. We're not talking about Google Maps, which does store its data on Google-owned servers, but Google Earth. So I don't see why there is any violation of Church policy, as long as proper care is taken for the security of these KML files.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

fishmister wrote:I have written a program to take it from .csv to .kml.
I'd like it for fast offering routes....
BellMR

Post by BellMR »

crislapi wrote:This topic and variations of it have been discussed in great detail here previously. In the end, the result is the same - it is against church policy to upload membership data to third-party servers like google earth's. Those who have created programs to achieve similar tasks have been asked by CHQ to remove them.

Does this mean that my ward should stop using Google Docs for collaboration and for our Emergency Zone spreadsheet (no map, but names and addresses)?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I keep hoping that lds.org will provide us with a workspace like google docs held on a secure lds server so we can all move our agendas, lists, maps, etc away from google. The pros and cons have been discussed at length...But it's probably a discussion for another thread, again...

like this one: Google Doc sites Are they ok
or this one: Use google docs gmail for church agendas
atticusewig

Tell us more about your program

Post by atticusewig »

Please tell us more about your csv to kml program.

I tried a script and found I had pad out the lat/long coords
with zeros. The church data might have some data with
a coordinate 29.5, 29.483934 and another with 29.564, 29.4932
whereas the kml file would need a full ten digits with zeroes at
the end.

My script was a sloppy mess, used too many filters, and still needed
user intervention (although less of it). I've only used it once, and then
would handle the move-ins/move-outs manually (we have a large ward,
but little turnover).

How does your program fare ? What language did you use ? Is it something
you don't mind sharing ?
gcelaya

Re: Export from maps.lds.org to Google Earth .kml files - Emergency Preparedness

Post by gcelaya »

So have we found an easy, reproducible solution in creating maps for districts for emergency preparedness? We used to use streets and trips but they are gone. I would like to have a system where we could easily generate and update map districts in our Stake every 3 months. Please, anybody?
mevans

Re: Export from maps.lds.org to Google Earth .kml files - Emergency Preparedness

Post by mevans »

gcelaya wrote:So have we found an easy, reproducible solution in creating maps for districts for emergency preparedness? We used to use streets and trips but they are gone. I would like to have a system where we could easily generate and update map districts in our Stake every 3 months. Please, anybody?
We have similar problems. I've had some conversations with people on Feedback about it. We've also been discussing with the stake clerk and stake president.

I think in the sort term, at least, there's probably no hope for a solution. I think the main focus is getting everything moved to LCR so they can shut down MLS.
1pom

Post by 1pom »

Please remember this is privet information.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”