Forms

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
ilikesci

Forms

Post by ilikesci »

It would seem to me that you could put just about any form on the internet and have it sent to the designated person. You could do it in a web page form and if needed use php. I just wanted to suggest this and have a general project like java stack and php stack.

The other two things I wanted to suggest and am willing to work on personally would be projects for the library and family history center. I use LAMP. I never worked in the library but have checked stuff out. The last time I checked something out they had a spiral notebook and you just put down what you were going to borrow. If this is still the case there is surely a better way of borrowing stuff from the library. The last time I used the family history center you still filled out forms for the microfiche and paid with cash for copies etc. Certainly there is a better way of doing this as well as checking in and out of the microfiche. Maybe using the barcodes on the microfiche boxes?

These are what I would like to work on if someone would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. In fact I have my own domain name and LAMP for which I could test anything I would help develop.

Thank You,
Micah J. Kimbrough

PS I am not a programmer by trade but learned programming when working for my degree in math. If I don't know it I certainly know how to find out were to ask somebody. For instance, usenet, forums, etc.
kisaac
Community Moderators

How to help on lds tech

Post by kisaac »

ilikesci wrote:if someone would point me in the right direction
Welcome to the forum!
As you know, many of us here, like myself, are people like yourself, trying to help out and use our talents to do good things, and not church employees or policy makers. Some of us help by talking about ideas such as yours, and brainstorming on them with the LDS tech community. Sometimes we help by trying out the newly released features on LDS.org, and reporting bugs or suggestions sometimes here on the tech forum, and "officially" to the developers through the lds.org "feedback link."

There is a calendar beta happening right now you might be interested in helping with: See this post:
Preparing for the Calendar 2.0 Release

If you are more skilled, have you looked at this page, found at this link below, and made a profile to list your abilities?
Contribute To Church Technology Projects, Tools, and Resources
How do I get started?

To get started on a community project, follow these five steps:
  1. Sign up for an LDS Account. Your LDS Account allows you to log in to Church websites, including LDSTech, with a single user name and password. Most likely you already have an LDS Account. If you don’t, go to https://ldsaccount.lds.org and register for one.
  2. Sign the Individual Contributors License. After logging in, click Projects on the top navigation bar. You’ll be prompted to sign the Individual Contributors License Agreement. This agreement allows the Church to use the work you contribute. The license does not prohibit you from using your contributions for purposes separate from the project. To sign the license, log in to the LDSTech site using the sidebar log-in.
  3. Complete your profile. To complete your user profile, click the Projects tab, and then click Profile on the subnavigation bar. The fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required. Your profile helps other team members get to know your skills and experience.
  4. Join a project. After you sign the Individual Contributors License Agreement and complete your profile, you can browse and join community projects. To view the list of projects, click Projects on the top navigation bar, and then click Projects on the subnavigation bar. All projects are listed with brief descriptions. Click the project name to view more details about the project. To join a project, click Join on the project’s detail page.
  5. Contact the project manager. Don’t wait for someone to contact you after you join a project. Introduce yourself to the project manager. The project manager’s e-mail address is listed on the project page. Let the project manager know you’ve joined the project, describe your skills and desire to help out, and ask what tasks he or she would like you to work on.
If you have any questions or run into problems, send an e-mail message to tech@ldschurch.org.
While not a direct answer to your post, I hope you do find ways to help. Get involved!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ilikesci wrote:The last time I used the family history center you still filled out forms for the microfiche and paid with cash for copies etc. Certainly there is a better way of doing this as well as checking in and out of the microfiche. Maybe using the barcodes on the microfiche boxes?

That's been recently changed. Now films are ordered and checked in on a website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ilikesci

Post by ilikesci »

Thank you for your reply. I have followed those instructions. I have joined java stack and php stack though I do not see how I can help on those. I do have faith that the Lord may show me what direction to take. It seemed to me that the church needs a lot of help for hand helds. My abilities do not necessarily go that direction though I have been downloading the emulators and do know a little java. I may explore that in the future. We have a tendency to stick with what we are comfortably with but I am retired and I am willing to expand into new areas. Thank you RussellHltn that helps me know that that has already been done and that I should go on to something else.

Thank You,
Micah

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”