Budget Category Allocations - Zeroed Out

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pozernickg

Budget Category Allocations - Zeroed Out

Post by pozernickg »

While entering reimbursement checks on Sun, 8/21/11, we opened the Budget Report to check the balance in one of our sub-categories. We noticed that almost all of the categories showed a negative balance. We then checked the "View/Edit budget" and found that all but the Curr., EQ, HP and RS allocations that we had entered earlier in the year for each category now showed 0.00. Have no idea why or how this happened. Has anyone else had this occur? Stake clerk doesn't know anything about it...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

My first inclination would be to ask other MLS users with finance rights if they had made any changes using the View/Edit Budget screen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pozernickg

Post by pozernickg »

No changes or adjustments were made by anyone in our ward. Since my original post, I've also noticed that a number of the sub-categories that we created previously no longer show on the Budget Report or even in the screen where you create/edit the categories. Have sent message to Finance via MLS and waiting for response which I will post if deemed useful.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Sounds like LUS sent down a patch or two. For me, that has caused some categories to be deactivated. Just got to Finances > Add/update categories and make them active again.

Not sure why your subcategory budget amounts have changed. Perhaps that categories that had budgets were deactivated? See if reactivating helps.

We've had some fun maneuvers pulled in our stake, but that's because we are a new YSA stake. All budget disbursement balances got pulled to the stake, and the stake had to redistribute by cutting checks. However, this didn't affect budget allocations.

Again, I've seen patches do weird things. While annoying, it's easy enough to re-enter the amounts, especially if you kept record of what they were.
pozernickg

Post by pozernickg »

The missing categories were not only deactivated, but were removed from "add/update" list so they are not there to reactiviate. I suppose I'll need to recreate those so I can redistribute our budget to the various categories.:p
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

This is a possibility anytime a patch is sent from LUS. This is why they tell us to print reports of all our categories so that we can recreate the categories and balances if the subcategories are modified. I've been lucky enough not to have ever had any deleted. It appears you were not so lucky. Yes, the remedy then is to recreate them.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”