Reimburse Scout Registration in Canada

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dbarfuss2

Reimburse Scout Registration in Canada

Post by dbarfuss2 »

Looking for some clarification on what is reimburseable for Canadian Scout Registration. My understanding is that the Church will reimburse 50% of the registration fee for each boy but also included in the registration cost is a 'charter fee' - is that reimbursed 50% or 100%? Group committee members - are their registration fees reimbursed 50%, 100% - can someone point me to some documentation?
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

Hi dbarfuss2,

In a message from CHQ dated 09 Jul 2007, it says, "Scout Registration: Stakes should pay for unit chartering and Scout registration for youth and leaders....... Exception: Canadian stakes pay only 50% of the provincial Scout registration fee per young man and leader. The other 50% of the registration fee should be paid by the families, by a friends of scouting drive, or by private contributuion". (See attached scan of the document)

I haven't seen any updated information changing this policy - the new handbook is silent on Canadian Scouts - so our stake reimbuses 50% of the registration fees and 100% of the chartering fee - which is reimbursable from CHQ. We include the group committee as "leaders" and reimburse 50%.

Hope that helps.
Attachments
Scout Finance Policies.jpg
(90.77 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
insoludary

Post by insoludary »

I've been with LDS Scouts in Canada for 7 years in 2 wards. I have never heard of a leader having to be out of pocket for anything. They are always covered 100%, including all uniform items and books. I see the point in that because, while it is right to call people to sacrifice their time, it would be quite wrong to also charge them on top of that. Scout boys are covered at 50% of registration and typically get their first uniform and Scout Manual supplied free (if they lose anything the parents have to replace it). All badges etc are supplied free (if they lose anything the parents are on the hook for replacements). Boys from poor families can get the full registration covered through the Church Welfare system (however I just noticed in the Scout leader's handbook that Scouts Canada will deny no membership due to inability to pay and also will cover the cost of a uniform to any who truly can't afford it so it looks like Scouts Canada has their own psudo-welfare thing going on). I suppose there are some parents who just don't see this as a priority and will say they have no money but still have cable, cell phones, eat too much food and in restaurants, go to movies and on holidays etc, but that's a rant for another day.
Freedom55 wrote:Hi dbarfuss2,

In a message from CHQ dated 09 Jul 2007, it says, "Scout Registration: Stakes should pay for unit chartering and Scout registration for youth and leaders....... Exception: Canadian stakes pay only 50% of the provincial Scout registration fee per young man and leader. The other 50% of the registration fee should be paid by the families, by a friends of scouting drive, or by private contributuion". (See attached scan of the document)

I haven't seen any updated information changing this policy - the new handbook is silent on Canadian Scouts - so our stake reimbuses 50% of the registration fees and 100% of the chartering fee - which is reimbursable from CHQ. We include the group committee as "leaders" and reimburse 50%.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”