Getting choir mic signal to webcast box

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Getting choir mic signal to webcast box

Post by craiggsmith »

I would like to be able to get a separate choir mic signal to the webcast box and cultural hall without putting it into the chapel sound. I've been just running the webcast from the clerk's office right off the chapel, but facilities just added some network cabling and A/V connections so I can do it from the satellite cabinet in the library, which is at the other end of the building. I've asked for an additional audio line from there to the audio cabinet on the podium, but I don't know if or when that will happen. I'm not really a fan of running cable down high-traffic halls. I was told that the organ signal goes to the cultural hall but not into the main chapel sound, and that a lot of them have an input. Has anyone ever tried this?

I would assume the signal would go through the organ speakers though, and I'm not sure how to tap it for the webcast. And I couldn't find an input on ours, although maybe it's hidden somewhere. But I just thought I'd ask.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

There is probbaly an output on the organ, but I would be surprised if there was an input.
If the amp rack is in the chapel (and if you can get permission to do this from FM) you could backfeed the signal to the library on the Satellite audio line, but most buildings do not have provisions made to feed just the cultural hall when the doors are open.
Edit: That is why I got everything setup to run the audio and video from the Stake Clerks Office. That way I have the feeds I need and am close to the chapel in case of problems with the equipment on the rostrum.

Aaron Z
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

If I went into the inputs in the cultural hall it wouldn't go to the chapel, but I guess it would if ti went into the satellite line. But they won't let me in the audio cabinet anyway.

I've been running everything from the stake clerk's office, but it's a lot more wiring to run, the signal quality isn't as good, and it's difficult to get from there to the camera if needed. And they won't run a camera control cable to the clerk's office, just to the library (although I haven't actually gotten them to do that yet).
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:If I went into the inputs in the cultural hall ...

Based on my experience, anything fed into the cultural hall inputs won't go anywhere. Once the doors are opened (or if your system is older, the switch is set to "chapel") that mic mixer is disconnected and the cultural hall power amps are being fed from the chapel mic mixer.

There's only two ways of doing what you want: Tape over the door sensor (but then you'll have to take a feed from the chapel and get it to the cultural hall). Or, working though the stake president and the FM group, have a special input added that does what you want. We have one that feeds both the chapel and cultural hall, but not the speakers above the choir.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, I forgot about that; I've taped over the sensors before. I have requested another input, but it's not likely to happen. But we'll see.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

RussellHltn wrote:There's only two ways of doing what you want: Tape over the door sensor (but then you'll have to take a feed from the chapel and get it to the cultural hall). Or, working though the stake president and the FM group, have a special input added that does what you want. We have one that feeds both the chapel and cultural hall, but not the speakers above the choir.
I wonder if it would be possible to open the doors and then use the "Manual" mode on the box in the cultural hall.
If nobody has tried it, I may give it a shot tomorrow night after Youth. It would not be useful for our setup, but could be useful as a point of information.

Aaron Z
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Aczlan wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to open the doors and then use the "Manual" mode on the box in the cultural hall.

My understanding is that the manual mode is for mixing. But that mixer/box is totally disconnected once the doors open.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
behjah

Post by behjah »

The lastest chapel sound system design is based on 50 Sundays a year and that leave out Stake Confernce and building over flows. Once you open the overflow doors the cultural hall system is useless. After several different tries using the chapel sound system for overflow feeds, I have given up. I let the chapel sound take care of the building. The only sound system level control is at the pulpit.

I have picked up a small 4 microphone mixer to feed the overflow buildings. It has both balance and unbalance out. I set up microphones for the choir and use a microphone splitter for the pulpit microphone. The unbalance out is used for Webcasting and the balanced for audio backup via telephone lines. Be careful with the microphone splitter, since the microphone power comes from the building system. I know this means extra cables on the floor but it give better audio control for the overflow buildings. Most member like to hear the organ while they sing. It is the case where there are more members outside the stake center.

Since Webcasting has become available, my stake president has held stake conference in other building besides the stake center. The only casuality was a primary child undoing a RJ-45 splice on the floor.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”